1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Door hinge pins

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by awglx, Sep 18, 2013.

1. awglx

awglx New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Correct me if I'm wrong but are the door hinge pins and or the hinge holes tapered? Pins seized and sheered off on the old stove I am working on. Any Ideas? I have been soaking them but they don't want to come out and If I break the hinge Its game over.
    Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I don't believe they were tapered, although it's been a number years since I rebiuilt & older VC unit..
    If I were trying to get sheared pins out, & something like PB Blaster wasn't loosening them, I'd drill em out.
    Start with a small diameter bit, maybe 1/16", & gradually work up to close to the pin diameter. You'll
    get it to a point where it'll just break free. Your biggest worry is walking the drill off the pin & onto the
    softer cast iron. If you're careful, you should be successful...
  3. awglx

awglx New Member

Loc:
    CT
    I may have to do that somehow but they are sheered off in the hinge on the front plate also. Can't even get the drill bit to line up with the hole because the drill hits the stove. I am spraying parts I cant soak with PB blaster multiple times a day.
  4. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Heat. Heat. and more heat.
    fbelec likes this.
  5. awglx

awglx New Member

Loc:
    CT
    I was going to try that as well. Most of them would be easier to tap down to get them out that's why I asked about tapper. Thank you guys.
  6. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    If they ARE tapered, you'll have to drive them UP to get them out. Not DOWN...
    PapaDave likes this.