Door Question for a Hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davink

Oct 18, 2008
North Central Connecticut
Hi all,

I am new here, and have greatly enjoyed all the research that I have done. It seems that there are some very knowledgeable people on here. I am hoping that you can help me.

Although I am not completely new to wood stoves, I am new to this one, it is a used Hearthstone II stove. When I bought it, it had broken glass in the front door. I ordered the glass kit from the nearest dealer, and it come with one pane of glass. The instructions state that it may have one, or may have two panes. The issue that I have is that the interior bracket that holds the glass in place does not hold it tightly, it seems that maybe it was to have two panes.

Does anyone know if they used to make it with two panes, and if they changed it. Do I really need a second pane in there, this glass was a $100.00 with the adhesive flat ropes that go on them. Prehaps they used to use a glass that was not as heat resistant?

I was thinking that I may be able to use stove cement and fill the void with that so the glass is tightly held in place... any thoughts?

Thanks

When I read this I was wondering if the two panes referred to a double door?

I'm wondering if the glass has a gasket that is compressed badly, missing or just shot. If so, replacing the doorglass gasket might renew the tension on the clamp and improve the seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.