Door Seal ?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie0664

Jan 1, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
My burn pot was filling up everyday and I would have to shut the stove down to clean it out (I knew something wasn't right), so I checked the seal on the door (paper test) and sure enough the paper would slide back and forth no problem.
I had to change the door seal on my Eco 45 and I seen some black streaks on the corner of the glass (inside) so I read it's probably and air leak so I put some clear heat silicone around the outside of the glass (seem to work great).

Now to my question. The door is sealed up good, no air leaks but the problem now is my glass fogs over
with a light gray ash (almost like chalk) and after about a day I can't see inside the stove or the flame and the rest of the stove (burn area) is a light chalk color. Is this normal, it never did this when it was new?

The good thing about it is, my burn pot is not filling up everyday anymore but I like to be able
to see inside my burn area to see what's going on, I still have to shut it down every day to clean the glass so
I can see what's going on (kind of defeats the purpose of stopping the air leaks. lol)

Often times manufactures put a air gap on the glass to air wash the glass to keep it clean. You did to good:)

My stove shuts down on its own frequently enough that I can usually get a cleaning in without having to kill it manually.

I stop my stop once a day to clean ash with my little shop vac & brush the windows with an attachment on the vacuum . My windows get that smokey ash but not as bad as yours sounds. You just might have pellet crumbles covering the airwash holes or inside there somewhere. Let us know how you make out. I've no doubt after some tinkering, you'll have it solved

Often times manufactures put a air gap on the glass to air wash the glass to keep it clean. You did to good

The funny thing is, I was actually thinking about that. I'll have to play around with it this weekend
and see what I can do. I might have to take off that silicone I put around the outside of the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.