Doorbell Rings Scrounge! Tree ID (PICS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
Saturday afternoon, I'm snoozing in my chair, when the doorbell rings. I open the door, and my neighbor asks if I want some firewood. I said sure, Whatcha got? He cut some wood from a fallen tree at one of his buddies house, and did not have room for all of it, so he wanted to give me what's left. His truck is at the end of the driveway on the street with the wood in the bed of the truck. I grab my shoes, coat, gloves, and wheelbarrow, and head to the end of my driveway, about 30 feet. I load up 4 giant wheelbarrow loads of firewood. It's very light, and a few pieces are starting to get punky. But hey, its free, cut, split, and its delivered to my driveway, and stacked in a few seconds! No complaints, it will make good shoulder season wood, or make good kindling. He didn't know what kind of wood it was.

I'm guessing the wood is some kind of true fir or white fir. It's definitely not Douglas Fir. Any Pacific Northwest or other experts want to chime in on the wood ID?

Oregon Bigfoot

Here's the pictures:

Attachments

• DSCN2319.jpg
    DSCN2319.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 463
  • DSCN2320.jpg
    DSCN2320.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 479
Spruce?

Fast growing conifer by the thickness of the growth rings
Fir is my guess :)

Don't know what you guys are talking about. I don't see any fur on that wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.