Double bubble or bubble foil insulation.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was recommended before as a way to insulate radiant floors in a floor (not basement floor) by stapling it to the floor joists.
It does have an effect, but I do not know if it is just because of stopping air flow...

Double bubble, foil and trouble. Fire burn and boiler bubble. Add eye of newt and your heating woes are gone.

I used some for aesthetic effect. After wrapping the electric water heater with 6" of yellow fiberglass, the foil bubble wrap was a nice finish on the outside to protect the fiberglass. Plus, it looks impressive, like a really great insulating job!

We have it for duct wrap on our heat pump supply and return plenums. It is double-wrapped and seems effective. I also use it to wrap some of the more fragile plants outside in the dead of winter.

Have to agree with the O.P.

Reflective insulation of all types has to be one of the most misused products in the industry.

I see it in all kinds of places it was never intended to be.

Read your engineering/technical sheets on the product, if you dont have an "intended" use, choose an alternate product that is intended for your situation.

Save that hard earned money for buying what actually works as insulation in the application.

would like to learn more about this stuff. What is an appropriate use for bubble wrap? As a radiant barrier is it staple-up under roof rafters? Final wrap around a water heater or thermal storage tank? Would love to hear more. Chris

Misunderstood is an overstatement. Especially since the manufacturers hawk it for everything you can think of.

I think there are a few limited applications that would be of interest.
One is for animal coops, where exposure to moisture is an issue.
The reflective insulation is of some help here.

Perhaps for shipping materials that are susceptible to some temperature swings, although the effective insulation value is actually about
2-3 per inch.
Since it is an impermeable barrier, I would be concerned about trapping moisture behind it in tank wrap applications. We had a customer wrap a Softank
with it. It looked great but he did not seal the tank cover well and there was moisture trapped in between the tank and the bubble wrap. No damage done, but it was a little funky.

And of course, as a suit for keeping the cosmic rays away from your body. I think the flying saucer guys got that one pegged.

And of course, as a suit for keeping the cosmic rays away from your body. I think the flying saucer guys got that one pegged.

Placement and design of corresponding hat is critical for vertical wave lengths!!

Tarm Sales Guy said:
would like to learn more about this stuff. What is an appropriate use for bubble wrap? As a radiant barrier is it staple-up under roof rafters? Final wrap around a water heater or thermal storage tank? Would love to hear more. Chris

Hello Chris

I use this in the attic rafters to keep the house 10 Degrees cooler in the summer!
http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage.asp?Page=Do-It-Yourself&PageIndex=674

Therefore 10 degrees cooler from 125 degrees is 115 Degrees is 8 % less

So how much does 8 % save in cooling costs. It saves quite a bit !! I really use the air conditioning alot less and when I do the lowest setting works fine. :)

P.S.

Home Depot has it cheaper than Lowes @!
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

so go to Lowes and they will sell it for 10% less than Home Depot's price. Win Win LOL

Lowes
http://www.lowes.com/pd_13357-56291...rrentURL;=/pl__0__s?Ntt=reflectix&facetInfo;=

Status
Not open for further replies.