Double damper???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarr

Nov 16, 2013
Upstate NY
I've recently installed a Hearthstone Equinox along with a damper. The damper seems to do very little to change the amount of draft and I have been contemplating adding another damper plate above the one currently installed. Anyone try this or is it a mistake? The damper already there does have an effect on the stove's temp, but like I said it doesn't really seem to do much as far as the draft (it just pulls and pulls). I have an 8" liner running about 28' inside of a block chimney with a 90 degree to the thimble and another at the tee and have never had a problem with lack of a draft. Any opinions on this are welcome and thanks.

It could be that the damper is unnecessary. I added one as a test on our stove and took it off. There was no improvement.

How is the stove burning?

I have a Hearthstone "One" in my cellar with a damper.I have a freight train of a draft and the damper slows it down when I put it at 180 degrees only.On a previous stove in the same spot I put foil over the damper plate to slow the draft down.It worked just have top find the sweet spot..

I have a Hearthstone "One" in my cellar with a damper.I have a freight train of a draft and the damper slows it down when I put it at 180 degrees only.On a previous stove in the same spot I put foil over the damper plate to slow the draft down.It worked just have top find the sweet spot..

Would the foil be safe? How long did it last before you had to replace it?

The foil was rapped Two or three times around the plate.I used the heavy duty foil.It got me through the last part of the season which was about two months.Just don't shut the damper all the way closed or the smoke will back up.Experiment until you find the sweet spot.You can keep the damper in place by screwing a hook to the ceiling and running a piece of coat hanger to the damper handle from the hook if the damper swings freely.This will hold the plate at the angle you want.Try it and let it be known how it works out.

The foil was rapped Two or three times around the plate.I used the heavy duty foil.It got me through the last part of the season which was about two months.Just don't shut the damper all the way closed or the smoke will back up.Experiment until you find the sweet spot.You can keep the damper in place by screwing a hook to the ceiling and running a piece of coat hanger to the damper handle from the hook if the damper swings freely.This will hold the plate at the angle you want.Try it and let it be known how it works out.

i appreciate the help, but I am concerned about using foil on the damper. I have seen what happens to foil on the grill and I am thinking that the same thing would happen to it in the stove pipe after repeated heating. That was why I was thinking of adding a second damper to try and keep more of the heat in the stove rather than throwing it up the chimney. My thought was to get the smoke to wind it's way up the chimney just like it did in the stove that I just replaced. The Hearthstone seems to send a lot of the heat up the chimney and I don't seem to have any lack of draft on my chimney so I was just wondering if anyone has tried adding a second damper and what their experience was with it.

I haven't tried a second damper.It sounds like it may work.The foil does get beat up though it got me through that winter.If it had come to mind I would have tried the second damper idea.It would be a more permanent solution if it worked than the foil.

I would worry about the damper wrapped with foil being left completely shut by accident, especially during a reload. CO and smoke roll are concerns. The hole in the center is there for a reason. I have heard of double turn key dampers installed before.

I experimented with a Barometric damper for a while to fight my strong draft didn't like the pipe soot/creosote buildup. I have a turn key damper inline as a safety measure for high wind days but rarely use it now due to changing to a better chimney cap.

A very strong draft stack will show any leak or imperfection a stove has in it. I am always making sure seals, gaskets and by pass dampers are in good working order.

Exactly. There is a reason that key dampers always allow a percentage of smoke to pass. Double dampering is unwise and unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.