Double Hung Window problem - advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
I have a Marvin double hung window that is one year old and giving me problems. (It was new construction)
The upper portion of the window is sagging. While the window was opened I noticed that the upper left portion was lower in the frame than it should be. I closed the window and locked it - this seemed to lock the window back in its proper place.
Now I am nervous to open it, I don't want it to fall out! What is the remedy?

So the window is wood? vinyl? combo?
Brickmold or regular nailing strip?

Was it foamed and nailed or just nailed?

If it was just nailed you could pop off the window and rehang it llevel (shim).
If it was foamed you can do the same but it is more work.

Are you referring to the sash hanging crooked in the frame? If so, its going to be a tension issue with a spring or whatever machanical means Marvin uses. Depending on the Series Window , Marvin allows for some adjustment, or the sash pin has become disconnected with their mechanism. Go to Marvins Double Hung Section and try their Problems and Fix section.

Given that it's new construction, and less than a year old, I would contact Marvin and / or the builder that installed it - sounds to me like a definite warranty issue, and as such I would avoid doing anything drastic (i.e. involving tools :coolhmm: ) until I had talked to the relevant company and gotten their advice - that way you don't risk messing up any potential warranty claims.

Gooserider

Being that it is new construction, the first thing that I would do is measure the diaginal distance corner to corner in both direction. If the distance is not exactly the same, the window was not installed properly. If that is the case, no window company will warrant the unit. Then it would fall on to the contractors shoulders to fix the problem. Then Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.