Double or Triple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hey guys,

I still haven't hooked my Wood Gun E100 up yet.

Remember I am putting it in my garage. It has a sloped ceiling.
Which is the under side of the roof.
Its roofing material on 1/2" plywood on 2x6 rafters, insulation, and 5/8" sheetrock.
Its a 4 on 12 pitch.
From the fly ash collector to the top of the chimney will only be 10 feet.

Should I go with double or triple wall?
Should it be the same from the ash collector to the top?

Mike, I used a SS class "A" chimney pipe. It's double wall insulated. Pretty sure that's what is recomended to prevent the exhaust gasses from condensating. You should use some silicone caulking on your joints. Getting them sealed is a struggle that I still have. Most all stove/chimney pipe is not really designed for the + pressure that your WG will throw out the stack. Note the (Selkirk) chim pipe is the easy part to seal. I am havint trouble with the double wall stove pipe that I have before the chim pipe. (also Selkirk)

Mike,

I used 24 gauge pipe from Cyclone to double wall insulated pipe. We went about 4' straight up from cyclone, then a T with clean out and horizontal about 5 feet, then another T with a cleanout and another 5' horizontal out the wall. Pretty close to what you see in your manual. The double wall begins about 2' before the sheetrock wall where it goes through a thimble. I think you want to be at least a 10' horizontally from the top of your pipe away from your roof. I remember reading on one of the threads here that someone was getting embers out the top of their chimney. They had a short distance as well. Something to consider. The Gun puts up quite a bit of pressure. You may want to go a little higher with your chimney or maybe take a 90 after coming up out of your cyclone, go over 4 or 5 feet, then another 90 and up through the roof. What you have for material on your roof and how close to anything else you are outside could be a factor. Good luck man. How are you coming on that thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.