Double sided firebox - fireplace design help needed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michael Penn

Sep 25, 2018
New York
Hi, my wife and I have just moved into a new house and we have a double-sided fireplace (nat gas) – one side is the living room the other is kitchen (pictures attached – apologies the cat decided to get into shot; note cables were already installed by previous owner for TV)

The firebox has a very tall hearth which has raised the height of the firebox (total height of box + hearth = 41”)

Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of fireplace design we should put around this box? On the living room side we’d like to keep the fireplace as low as possible so we can put a TV above the fireplace without having to strain our necks upwards!

If we went for classic trim/filler panels AND header AND mantel shelf, we’d end up with the mantel shelf around 60” from the ground – putting a TV above would end up very high. We are looking for an interesting design but something that would keep the profile fairly low. what would be a "standard" fireplace design for this room (if one exists)?

Thank you!

(Living Room side)

(Kitchen side)

Hi, my wife and I have just moved into a new house and we have a double-sided fireplace (nat gas) – one side is the living room the other is kitchen (pictures attached – apologies the cat decided to get into shot; note cables were already installed by previous owner for TV)

The firebox has a very tall hearth which has raised the height of the firebox (total height of box + hearth = 41”)

Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of fireplace design we should put around this box? On the living room side we’d like to keep the fireplace as low as possible so we can put a TV above the fireplace without having to strain our necks upwards!

If we went for classic trim/filler panels AND header AND mantel shelf, we’d end up with the mantel shelf around 60” from the ground – putting a TV above would end up very high. We are looking for an interesting design but something that would keep the profile fairly low. what would be a "standard" fireplace design for this room (if one exists)?

Thank you!

(Living Room side)
View attachment 229977 View attachment 229978

(Kitchen side)
View attachment 229975 View attachment 229976
Well to start what material is running to the edge of the opening now? If it is drywall it cant be there you need 6" of non combustibles on the sides and 6" on the top if it protrudes less than 1.5" 12" if it is more than 1.5".

Well to start what material is running to the edge of the opening now? If it is drywall it cant be there you need 6" of non combustibles on the sides and 6" on the top if it protrudes less than 1.5" 12" if it is more than 1.5".
thank you for the quick response! Yes I believe it is drywall. Sorry I am new to this forum, what do you mean "it protrudes less than 1.5" "? The gas burner itself is embedded very deep into the box (box "depth" is probably 2.5-3 feet). Does that make any difference? thanks again

thank you for the quick response! Yes I believe it is drywall. Sorry I am new to this forum, what do you mean "it protrudes less than 1.5" "? The gas burner itself is embedded very deep into the box (box "depth" is probably 2.5-3 feet). Does that make any difference? thanks again
I mean the combustible material on the face. This is code for a woodburning fireplace. Which fireplaces like yours with a gas logset need to meet as well. You will need to remove the combustible materials back atleast that 6" and replace them with some sort of noncombustible material. From there you can do whatever you want as long as you stay outside those required clearances

I mean the combustible material on the face. This is code for a woodburning fireplace. Which fireplaces like yours with a gas logset need to meet as well. You will need to remove the combustible materials back atleast that 6" and replace them with some sort of noncombustible material. From there you can do whatever you want as long as you stay outside those required clearances
Thanks. Yep happy to remove the combustible material and put 6" stone/tile around the opening. I guess my question is more, from a design perspective, what kind of fireplace design would work well keeping in mind our desire to keep the profile as low as possible?

Thanks. Yep happy to remove the combustible material and put 6" stone/tile around the opening. I guess my question is more, from a design perspective, what kind of fireplace design would work well keeping in mind our desire to keep the profile as low as possible?
Well that will really depend upon the aesthetic you are going for. The possibilities are endless from just replacing the existing combustibles with cement board and feathering it in so it is trimless the way it is now. All the way up to elaborate cabinetry or panels surrounding the fireplace. Just start looking at pictures and find what you like. Just be aware many pics you will see do not meet code. You need that noncombustible space.

I have designed many mantles and surrounds but i dont do it for free lol. If you post some pics of what you like i will gladly give you my input though.

Thank you very much! Most of the images I see online are of fairly elaborate designs with large fire surrounds, wide facings and thick mantels. I guess I am looking for something with as low a profile as possible (notwithstanding the 6" requirement). Beyond that I am not sure what I should be googling! BTW out builder came back saying the material around the box is plaster over block (does that make a difference?) thanks again

Thank you very much! Most of the images I see online are of fairly elaborate designs with large fire surrounds, wide facings and thick mantels. I guess I am looking for something with as low a profile as possible (notwithstanding the 6" requirement). Beyond that I am not sure what I should be googling! BTW out builder came back saying the material around the box is plaster over block (does that make a difference?) thanks again
Yes it does if that really is block and plaster you dont have to mess with removing anything. As long as it goes back far enough.

What are the raised hearths made from?