Double sided fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevnj

Nov 29, 2016
Boiling Springs SC
Hi! When we purchased our home we were thrilled to have a fireplace. But, the fireplace cannot be enjoyed where it's sitting. Additions had been made to the home keeping it from being the beautiful fireplace we love. The interesting thing is that the fireplace is in the den and the wall behind the fireplace is a brick wall. My living room has 3 plaster walls and one large brick wall. The idea is to turn the fireplace into a functional source of heat in the den while the other side would not only be functional but also a focal point. How hard would this be to do and how expensive would it be?

Best to get a mason in to determine if possible. Though as a source of heat, don't expect too much.

Hi! When we purchased our home we were thrilled to have a fireplace. But, the fireplace cannot be enjoyed where it's sitting. Additions had been made to the home keeping it from being the beautiful fireplace we love. The interesting thing is that the fireplace is in the den and the wall behind the fireplace is a brick wall. My living room has 3 plaster walls and one large brick wall. The idea is to turn the fireplace into a functional source of heat in the den while the other side would not only be functional but also a focal point. How hard would this be to do and how expensive would it be?
Double sided fireplaces are really hard to make work when building from scratch I would think it would be next to impossible to do when modifying an existing one. And like bg said it will not be a source of heat regardless.

One possibility to discuss with a mason would be installing a Supreme Duet double-sided fireplace insert. That would provide more meaningful, cleaner heating.

http://www.supremem.com/duet.php

Status
Not open for further replies.