Double sided wood stove? Advice please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvranch

Jan 18, 2015
montana
Hi all-
Has anyone had any luck with finding an efficient double sided wood burning stove or insert here in the US?
Thanks in advance!

We've had a least one install here of their double-sided fireplace. They seemed happy with its performance.

The link you sent me shows that the stove's specs are 100 000 BTU. That would be a beast of a heater. I wonder what the reviews are like....

Andrew

The Focus is EPA exempt. Prolly not the most efficient unit.

That Duet specs max 30 pounds, max four moderate size splits, specifically specs not to be used as a primary home heater, lots of cautions about glass breakage....warnings about creosote, not to burn pine branches....4 feet required in front of each glass door from combustibles.....very specific instructions for starting fires....small ashpan, think you'd be removing ashes a lot.....by reaching inside the stove and lifting the grate....

This stove would definitely not be for me, but I'm sure there are some who'll love it. Looks well designed and made, but I want a whole home heater and a rugged as well as attractive stove. Don't want to spend my time worrying about every detail and definitely want to be able to burn more and larger splits.

30 pounds yields maybe 180,000 BTU's. At 100,000 per hour, that's a two hour burn. at high heat output. At 30,000 BTU/hour, 6 hours. I suspect that is probably the longest burn you'll get out of this stove.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I think you're right Rideau. But something tells me that there is potential and a market for a nice stove like that. Glass could break though the way some people toss in logs..lol

Andrew

Although we are stove enthusiasts here a lot of people burn for pleasure, mostly nights and weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.