double tapped bushings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8nrider

Aug 15, 2008
new hampshire
i'm setting up a mb 55 (1982 tarm) with 500 gal (propane tank) storage.very worried about stratifaction in the tank.should i use brass bushings, or castw/ brass nipples.help thank you.

Brass or cast will not make any difference in stratification ;-) I use 1 1/4 supply and return on my storage with a Paxo 40. The horizontal tanks stratify just fine. I have radiant floors so my usable temp is quite low and stratification is not a big issue for me anyway. Are you a high temp radiator/water-air hx or lower temp radiant.

And to answer your question, I used cast.

my system is low temp radiant. i am worried about, i believe it is called a dielectric reaction. i am using 1 1/4 copper for piping.

They say do it right you need the brass to make the transition to copper, but it shouldn't matter where you do it, if you believe what they say.

It would be just as correct and more than likely more economical to start out with the cast black iron double tap bushing and then go from iron to copper with brass in between wherever it was most convenient.

But if the piping is always dry on the outside, and oxygen depleted on the inside, it's hard to believe what they say about the need for the brass.

I would still think a Dielectric Union is going to be your cheapest option. I would imagine a brass nipple 1 1/4" plus a 1 1/4 Female NPT copper fitting to run you $20-30 a set. A brass coupling, and a Male NPT copper fitting just the same. If you go to a good plumbing supply, not the big box stores, I got my Dielectric unions, 1 1/4" for $6.90 each. Steel threaded one side, 1 1/4" Brass Sweat nipple the other side. Unions also give you a good connection point so if you ever had to disconnect for some reason, its easier than unsweating a copper line.

If you believe what they say about the need for dielectric separation in a closed boiler system, then it would probably be better to avoid a dielectric union up near the top of storage if the area will be closed-off by insulation where you can't see if it develops a leak.

thanks for all the input. does anyone know of a supplier that has brass bushings? the less conections the less chance of leaks.thanks agian.

8nrider said:
thanks for all the input. does anyone know of a supplier that has brass bushings? the less conections the less chance of leaks.thanks agian.

F.W.Webb

tried webb for my expansion tank. none in there system had 4 on back order and the had orders for 6. told me the could not get 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 brass. then i started looking on line. what a price difference w/ copper. i guess its one thing when you can mark up 10 - 20 % when dealing w/ a customer, its another when it comes out of your pocket. i think i'm done w/ webb. besides 34 mile round trip in the f250 can pay for some quick shipping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.