Double wall (black) high temps.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
What is hot for double wall black (duravent)......inside ?

Mine goes to 250 sometimes (seems pretty hot)............could it take 600 ?

Edit, I just checked the web site and it said it was rated for 2100 degrees.............I just wondered if anyone has seen 5 or 6 hundred on their pipe, and did it seem hot ? Or is this a pretty acceptable temp ?

I would like an answer very soon............ :lol:

Robbie

The are wood stove running mild steel single wall black pipe at 500°-600° all the time ( outside wall temp ) I would think the double wall pipe would be the same inside and out temp of the inner pipe.

I try to keep my single wall black pipe above four hundred interior temp all of the time. I frequently run it up over 700 on startup to burn the crud out of the inside of it.

Same with the liner on the other stove.

Thanks Roospike, I was just not familiar (or heard of) higher temp readings. Mine usually stays around 150 to 225 and I wondered if it was fairly common for the pipe to reach 600s.

Mine smells a bit if it get much over 225 or so, must be the paint.

BB.......WOW ! that is hot ! :gulp:

Robbie

Robbie said:
Thanks Roospike, I was just not familiar (or heard of) higher temp readings. Mine usually stays around 150 to 225 and I wondered if it was fairly common for the pipe to reach 600s.

Mine smells a bit if it get much over 225 or so, must be the paint.

BB.......WOW ! that is hot ! :gulp:

Robbie

Yeppers , I would say paint ........... you'll get the paint smell at 300° and the day you run it up to 400° you should get the paint smell back again.

500°-600° on a pipe isnt going to be a problem but is a lot of heat going up the chimney .

I am talking interior flue gas temps on the probe guys. You said "inside" in the original post. Seven hundred inside translates to around 300-350 on a surface mounted thermometer.

If you run a lot at 150 degrees interior pipe temp you just as well get a bucket of creosote and a brush and paint it on the inside of your pipe.

Roospike said:
I'm not a "probe guy" :sick: Do i get a decoder ring if i join the group ? "Can i" join the group ?

What color options can i get in a probe thermometer ? WHR!?

Why is that I am hearing banjo music again?

It was really an economic thing. Those piece of crap, break all of the time Rutland thermos are $14 here and the stainless steel, sealed Char Broil probe for barbeques was eight bucks at Lowes. Saved money, lasts longer and tells the real flue temp. What's not to like?

Robbie, how in the heck are you getting temps that LOW?? I would think you are creating a creosote factory at this point.

My Condar says 250 to 475, my laser on outside pipe says 150 to 225 during these times. The firebox is usually full of red hot coals or flames.

See Condar optimum scale range in orange area, this is where I try to keep my stove at,

http://www.condar.com/meters.html

I do damper when it get to the dark red on the condar, even though I do often let it creep over into the dark red to about 500 or so, just not constant.

Most of my temps are almost always in the optimum burn range on my Condar. During this time, my pipe will stay at 150 or so..........then it creeps to 200s when I approach upper limits of my Condar "optimum burn" range.

So far, so good. I cleaned my pipe outside a while back after approx. 2 months of burning and got a quart jar of fine black dust.

Robbie

Here are some numbers from the literature that came with my stovepipe.

It is Excel double wall, and all #'s are internal probe temps.

Maximum continuous 1200F-650C
Brief Forced Firing 1700F-925C
Tested To 2100F-1150C

I regularly run it up to 1000F probe temp when charring a new load. When cruising it is between 400-600F

I think its hotter in there then the thermomters are reading. If it was only 150* you would have problems. I would say your doing just fine. A quart is a little much for that time frame, so you might step up the temp some.

MountainStoveGuy said:
I think its hotter in there then the thermomters are reading. If it was only 150* you would have problems. I would say your doing just fine. A quart is a little much for that time frame, so you might step up the temp some.

I think he's talking outside temp of double wall MSG. Prolly the reason for the lowe temp reading.

Hogwildz said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

I think he's talking outside temp of double wall MSG. Prolly the reason for the lowe temp reading.

i need to quit drinking.

Sorry I did not explain better, it is the outside temp of my double wall pipe using a laser. I will step up the burn a bit, actually felt like I should anyway.

The only time I'm really slacking is when I damper, and this is usually every night.

Thanks for the help guys...........you da best ! :lol:

Robbie

Robbie said:
Sorry I did not explain better, it is the outside temp of my double wall pipe using a laser. I will step up the burn a bit, actually felt like I should anyway.

The only time I'm really slacking is when I damper, and this is usually every night.

Thanks for the help guys...........you da best ! :lol:

Robbie

O' Well , that changes everything , I dont think i have read the temp for the outside of a double wall pipe ..........I have double wall pipe and have never checked the temp because it wouldnt really tell me anything anyway and would be slow to respond.

Taking a reading on the outside of the double wall pipe is like putting a thermometer on the hood of your car to check the engine temperature. ;-)

I'll check mine just for chits and giggles.

EDIT: Ok , I checked the outside of my double wall pipe 8" above the stove and it reads 265° when the front of the thermometer reads 540°

Status
Not open for further replies.