Double wall chimney from lowes...Good ??? A lot cheaper than stove shops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian

Aug 31, 2012
Long Island,NY
So I know the stoves they sell are pretty crappy but how are the pipes,I believe they are super vent...The stainless looked good but the double wall interior kit looked flimsy...I'm spending way more on the stove(shelburne)than planned so I may have to go the lowes route on the pipe.Any good or bad experiences would be appreciated.Thanks Gents

I have Lowes stove and pipe....... :(

And I love'em.. What particular brand are you looking at? Simpson?

Depends on the stove you buy as to how crappy it is.

You can buy a $3,000 stove. But burn wet/unseasoned (less than 1 yr split and stacked/at least) and any owner will think that $3,000 stove is crappy.

Welcome to the Forums. I understand were you are coming from. My 1st stove was a Quad (quality/expensive!) But my last 3 stoves (17 yr old Englander 25-PDV (pellet) / Engalnder 30-NC (wood) / and a Englander 10-CPM (pellet/corn)) have all been Englanders that can be found at Lowes/Home Depot. There customer service is second to none and there stoves are built in the USA!

There is a saying... Good Cmstuff aint cheap and Cheap stuff aint good.. But sometimes there are exceptions. Many here have Englander stoves. Both pellet and wood.

Anyways. Soapbox off.

Reactions: PapaDave
I have Lowes stove and pipe....... :(

And I love'em.. What particular brand are you looking at? Simpson?

Depends on the stove you buy as to how crappy it is.

You can buy a $3,000 stove. But burn wet/unseasoned (less than 1 yr split and stacked/at least) and any owner will think that $3,000 stove is crappy.

Welcome to the Forums. I understand were you are coming from. My 1st stove was a Quad (quality/expensive!) But my last 3 stoves (17 yr old Englander 25-PDV (pellet) / Engalnder 30-NC (wood) / and a Englander 10-CPM (pellet/corn)) have all been Englanders that can be found at Lowes/Home Depot. There customer service is second to none and there stoves are built in the USA!

There is a saying... Good Cmstuff aint cheap and Cheap stuff aint good.. But sometimes there are exceptions. Many here have Englander stoves. Both pellet and wood.

Anyways. Soapbox off.
Thanks for the reply on my other post...It looks good,I'm buying a nice hearthstone shelburne so that should be ll good,But I was more conceerned with the quality of the interior black double wall...It looks really flimsy but I have nothing else to compare it to!

I have there Double wall inside also. Simpson. Works well. Pretty solid. IMO (biased).

You seen the outisde pics in your other thread. Here are inside pics. Unfinished basement. Not pretty :)

2012-01-27_10-04-09_696.jpg 2011-11-03_19-02-24_344.jpg FahrenheitEndurance.jpg

DuraVent/DuraTech is good piping. It's no longer under Simpson, now under M&G and they are making some nice improvements.

I bought my chimney pipe and double wall inside pipe at lowes and had no problems other than I would suggest you open the boxes and make sure the pieces are not dented/damaged. I returned 4 out of 8 that had dents or the ends where they attached were damaged. There is no packing in the box so they can easily be damaged. I saved a lot over shops in my area.

I've used Lowes class A for years with no problems. I've also used their single wall, kind of flimsy but no problems.

You seen the outisde pics in your other thread. Here are inside pics. Unfinished basement. Not pretty :)

It's a hell of a lot prettier than my unfinished basement! In typical DexterDay OCD character, it's spotless.

Reactions: DexterDay
Dexter, whats the big stove on the left? Looks like a wood furnace?

You can order Simpson Duravent from www.northerntool.com for a lot less than the stoves stores charge as well.

If you have a Sutherland's Lumber around they also carry Simpson Duravent for much less. When I was pricing out my chimney I googled Simpson Class A chimney pipe and had a lot of choices of where to shop. I found everything I needed online from different places for different components but I saved over half of what the stove store wanted and that included shipping prices.

Dexter, whats the big stove on the left? Looks like a wood furnace?

My Pellet Furnace (Fahrenheit Endurance 50F). The cold air return is not hooked up. Its facing the woodstove on the back of the furnace. That way when it kicks on, it takes the 90° air out of the basement and distributes it throughout the house via HVAC.

No ProPain for me.. In Years...

Status
Not open for further replies.