Double wall connector pipe clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I had an addition put on my house...part of which was 5"x10" oak beams in the ceiling and a new uppe floor. My chimney has to pass these beams to get to the celing support box. After laying things out, it turned out that the double wall connector pipe will have to pass 4" from one of these beams. It will be that close for a 6" run. In the manual for my Heartlland cook stove, it says that double wall pipe clearance can be reduced to up to 3" with adequate protection, but I can't find documentation anywhere on this.

Here's my question: If I used 24 ga steel with a 1" spacer between the double wall pipe and the oak beam, will that be adequate protection?

It just so happened with the upper floor layout, I only had one option for passing through the floor and ligning up with the ceiling joists/roof rafters. The upper floor layout prevents me from placing any jogs/bends in the prefab chimney.

To my Knowledge you can not reduce clearances to double wall stove pipe.NFPA 211 does not show it any of their reduce clearance pages (or I just cant find it). But you could use a cathedral support box and hang it 2" down past the beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.