Double wall Duravent or Tripple wall Duravent? I have a guy telling me the Double is better...What?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayabusa Rider

Feb 12, 2008
Thumb Of Michigan
I had a guy tell me he sells and recomends the Double Wall over the Tripple Wall, he stated it was just as Safe and Easier to install due to
it's smaller size.
This guy sells stoves and pipe.

I say hmmm .......Really?

Find another guy. They both have their applications, use the correct pipe for the correct applicaton.

The triple is more expensive but it has an insulation wrap AND an air insulation chamber. The double just has an insulation wrap.

I think it's worth stating though, that the Duraplus does have a thinner ceramic blanket compared to the Duratech. Obviously the airspace makes up for the difference in insulation. I suspect that the Duraplus cools the flue gases slightly more than the duratech because of the air cooling layer. I will say though, that I have a 14 foot duraplus chimney and have had no problems with draft at all. I think the chimney does a great job, had no problem with installation, etc. IN fact, it was so good, that I used it for the shed installation as well.

I always liked Duratech. I like the locking mechanism, ease of disassembly should it be necessary. I'm a fan of dense packed pipe in general though the smaller diameter to me is nice.

Leelli said:
The extra insulation is better (double wall version) as it keeps the heat in the flue, where you want it for good draft and less creosote buildup.

Ok so I may just hold off on my purchase and learn from here more on this subject......
Hmmmm...........

Status
Not open for further replies.