Double Wall Flue Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood Heat Stoves said:
the simple magnet types have been known to demagnetize and fall off hot pipe to melt carpet--fix:use the supplied screw

Every time my single-wall flue pipe hits 800ºF, the thermometer slides all the way down to the flue collar on the stove. It has actually left a trail along the pipe from repeated transgressions. I'd fix it by wiring it in place with the wire that was packaged with it, but I've come to rely on the sound of the thermometer sliding to get me to jump up and shut the air down.

Battenkiller said:
...but I've come to rely on the sound of the thermometer sliding to get me to jump up and shut the air down.

Closed loop process control. :)

Perhaps I'm delusional......I could have SWORN I saw some conversation about a probe sagging, or whatever.........anyway........."Just ignore that man behind the curtain."

-Soupy1957

Perhaps not sagging, but when the double wall pipe gets hot your normally horizontal probe meter will poit up towards the ceiling a bit. Seems the inner wall of the pipe does not expand as much as the outer wall. Since the probe meter sets on both pipes this differential expansion makes the probe tip.

A hot pipe makes your probe point to the ceiling. No good way to fix it except installing the probe so that when the pipe is cold the probe points to the floor.

C'mon folks . . . I'm the Poster Child for the Mechanically Inept School of Idiots and even I was able to install this device in less than 10 minutes . . . I mean if you can read and use a drill you cannot mess this up . . . well maybe if you have Parkinsons and end up drilling a half dozen holes in the pipe instead of the one . . . and yes, that's a joke. This isn't rocket science . . . it's simply taking one bit and drilling a hole . . . changing the bit and drilling a second hole . . . then you stick the probe in it and voila . . . you're done . . . so simple even a caveman/monkey/firefighter could do it. To quote the old Nike ad . . . just do it.

As for the hole and negative draft droopy thermometers and carbon monoxide spewing into the home . . . Old Spark had it right . . . follow the directions and you'll be fine. The normal draft will not allow any bad stuff to escape . . . I can't tell you how many holes my old oil boiler had in its exhaust . . . and not a one of them was plugged . . . truth be told . . . if you ever have a back puff chances are smoke will be coming out of every hole and crack in the stove . . . in fact you'll probably be amazed at the number of places where smoke is escaping from . . . as for the CO issue . . . well maybe this could happen . . . then again you could also be walking down Main Street when a rampaging elephant that escaped from the circus comes barreling across the street, knocking you over and trampling you . . . what I'm trying to say is . . . it's not very likely to be an issue.

Just do it . . . you're killing me here Soupy . . . don't make me come down there and drill the hole myself. ;) :)

Reactions: ridemgis
Hey Jake I want you to tell us how you really feel. :lol:

Here is a link to a SAGA of posts regarding my experience last winter w/ the flue probe. I personally feel their "too hot" zone is at too low a temp for 18 inches above a stove pipe. They disagree w/ me and insist on their thermometers accuracy after retesting one of mine that I sent back to a fella in upper management. I think my probe gives me reasonable readings when placed 28 inches up the stove. My argument is I don't think it's possible for every stove to be read and equally assessed at the exact same height above the stove.

Read and make your own conclusions

pen

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51149/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/51880/

"A hot pipe makes your probe point to the ceiling"

Now THAT'S a statement I won't comment on!!!!!!!

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.