Double wall insulated pipe sealant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
Central Wisconsin
Last year was my first year with a jotul f55, new install. Have double wall pipe going vertical 3ft then horizontal about 2ft till it hits double wall insulated thru wall till t then up 18ft. Had a chimney fire last February roughly and smoke was coming out of the double wall joints and several of the insulated pipe joints, the double wall has 3 screws in it and the Insulated was locked tight with bands on it. Is there a certain type of sealant I can use to help if in the future for whatever reason I have this issue again. Smoke coming out of joints during chimney fire leaves me to think it could also be sucking in air and causing draft issues at other times.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There are a number of High Temp sealants or Furnace cements out on the market, but they all seem to harden up from heat and crack, so it may not be a 1 time job. I would have the pipes inspected after a chimney fire for damage. I've not heard of Insulated pipes ever leaking, they have a pretty good locking device on them, stove pipes possibly, but normally not. Maybe others here will have some additional information on their experiences.

I wouldn't seal each metal pipe, I would def clean my chimney more and make sure im burning up to temp and using seasoned (dry <20% moisture content) wood.

Reactions: pdga1
Chimney fire in (new?) double wall pipe? That can't be a good sign.

I put the stretchy silicone tape over the joints in my double wall stove pipe for my pellet boiler. Thing is, if you use something like silicone sealant you can't disassemble the pipe for cleaning without difficulty.

last year i didnt have ideal wood. it was dead but didnt have enough time to properly season so that was part of my problem. but the leaking joints were just kind of unnerving. or if trying to start fire and with a poor draft if fire went out sometime smoke would come out of double wall black pipe seams also

There's is no need to seal the pipes. When your pipe is completely overwhelmed with smoke or clogged, smoke will find its way out no matter what. It will pour from the stove, even around the door gasket if you lose draft.

I'm only saying what I said because if you get a plugged up cap or another chimney fire the smoke will just come out the stove air inlets instead of the pipe.

I agree with kenny and webby no need to seal the pipe as long as everything fits the way it should. If you have smoke coming out of those joints you either have a clogged chimney somewhere or have serious lack of draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.