Double wall leaking water

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhide371

Dec 13, 2013
NJ
Isn't the first time. However I need to figure this out. It seems to be coming from the seams inside the attic. Which must mean the water is getting inside the outer layer of pipe and coming in the house that way.
avuzana3.jpg
this is right at the thru curling connector and here is where some more water was coming in.
ta5y7ate.jpg

Maybe a loose seam on the stack outside? I'm also wondering if there is some type of cover on the double wall? Or do they expect the chimney cap to protect all of it? What I'm asking is there a cover on the end of the double wall up top?

The water is dripping in here right at the gap between the collar and pipe. sizzling right on the stove top. Making nasty marks on my brand new "this season" blaze king.

6u7e5aza.jpg

Possible. But I swept about 2 weeks ago and it looked ok. My installer is literally useless and said there is nothing to do about leaking when it is really windy. Same installer who went through my ceiling, same installer who installed single wall pipe 12" in to my wall. Sorry for the rant but this guy is just the worst. Could have learned 100x what he knows from browsing here and wouldn't have a mismatched ceiling color. Anyway back to the leak. :-<

Also if you go up there run a bead of silicone where the storm collar meets the pipe, make sure it is tightened up correctly also....if installed correctly unless we are talking about tornado winds it should not leak...

I had the same leak and I finally re-roofed. I paid very special attention to ensure that all possible areas around the collar were fully sealed. Even bought special rubberized coating to go on the roof and caulking. A year later, I still got a small leak when the snow melted last spring and when we get a severe driving rain. Much better than the buckets i had previous. I can't think of anything I could have done better and I did all of the work myself to make sure it was done right. ;em;sick

I am sure there will be leaking this spring in a lot of chimneys with all the snow and ice we've had this winter.

Ok. I was also thinking is there a way the water could find its way into the double wall? Can I seal that? Where the seam is on the double wall

I had the same leak and I finally re-roofed. I paid very special attention to ensure that all possible areas around the collar were fully sealed. Even bought special rubberized coating to go on the roof and caulking. A year later, I still got a small leak when the snow melted last spring and when we get a severe driving rain. Much better than the buckets i had previous. I can't think of anything I could have done better and I did all of the work myself to make sure it was done right. ;em;sick

I am sure there will be leaking this spring in a lot of chimneys with all the snow and ice we've had this winter.

Yea funny you say that, had the stove going all day and no leak. And it was raining. I live close to the ocean in jersey so noreasters really howl 20-30mph average. No leaks until rain subsided tonight. Go figure. However the last rain I had some puddles. Sounds like a spring job. Just keep up on it I guess. Annoying. Wish I installed myself. Thanks for your input

If this only happens during the high winds of nor'easters rain may be blowing up through the flashing vents under the storm collar. That is hard to stop. But if it's happening with every rain then the next time you can get up on the roof silicone the vertical seam of the pipe that goes into the storm collar and recaulk the storm collar with fresh silicone too.

It would be hard to get water in between the two walls. First, it has to get in, then it has to get out. If it were doing that, your double wall chimney would be next to useless because the insulation would be soaked. Chances are very slim that's where it's getting in.

I think it's all the expansion/contraction with the hot/cold cycles. Hard to keep that sealed perfectly.

I chased a leak for a year. rain water came out of the ceiling box and sheetrock. The chimney was over 10 years. I have the pictures and the saga on this forum somewhere. I took it all apart, chimney out, roof flange out, reinstalled it better than it was. Siliconed the hell out of everything. Still leaked!!! I found a slit / crack in the shingle just above the roof flange. The roof changes pitch there and the is a bend in the shingle, easy problem after you find it. The ladder I use on the roof to get to the top for cleaning did it. I got so good at removing and replacing shingles in the middle of the roof. So look real close for roof damage.

I did learn the chimney seams are not waterproof. When I had it apart , the top 2 sections were laying on the deck and got rained on. they got water inside. Luckily those sections were outside. The insulation was wet and the pipe would get a hot on the outside. The water was running out of the section, but would not run into section below. My chimney is Dura Flue

Did this leek from the beginning of the installation from hell?

It did not, it started happening as it got colder. They still haven't been out to check it out because of snow on the roof... I honestly am about to ask another company to come out. But I think I can do this on my own. My roof is steep. So your hearts in your throat the whole time up. Anyway. It stopped now which had me so confused. Anyway I just gotta double up on some caulk! I'm just at a loss as to where the water is coming from because I don't see any entrance from the roof to the first pipe to pipe connection. Maybe I'm just missing it

Status
Not open for further replies.