Double wall or single wall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trilifter7

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2012
Beavercreek Ohio
I'm currently running my old Resolute with single wall pipe with no issues. The setup is a straight up run thru the roof with about 6' inside and about 9' Triple wall SS duravent outside. I'm getting ready to install a new Quadrafire Isle Royale so my question is should I switch to double wall inside or stick with the single wall inside. Like I said before, I currently have no clearance issues inside or any real problems with the current setup. My thoughts are that by switching to double wall inside it will help the draft and keep higher flue temps throughout the chimney keeping less possibility for creosote build up. The stove is plenty big for my house so any loss of heat in the room from switching to double wall from single wall should not be noticeable. What do you guys think, worth it to go to double wall or just stick to my single wall setup? Are there any advantages one way or another besides clearance issues?

With a 15' chimney, I would double wall it for the reasons you stated.

Since you don't think you will miss the heat given off by the single wall pipe you're currently using if you go to double wall pipe, then I'd probably go with the double wall. Not only will you have less creosote build up in your flue pipe, but you will also have a more substantial double wall pipe inside the room. Some of the single wall set ups I've seen in people's homes makes me a bit nervous for them. We have one set of friends who have a stove with about 20' of cheap seamed single wall pipe climbing from the top of the stove up through two open stories of their home before exiting through the roof near the ridge. There are no supports anywhere inside and they never clean their flue. Instead, they are believers in burning hot fires and having an occasional chimney fire clean the pipe for them!

Thanks for the replays guys! Thats a good point Nick, I never thought about the added piece of mind I'd get from using double wall. Now I just wonder if I waited too long to get the pipe. I already saw that tractor supply has removed their stove section for spring stuff. Any thoughts on best places to buy pipe?

I agree, at the minimum height for most stoves you might want to insulate as much as you can to keep a good draft going.

One thing that really surprised me is that in the manual for the Isle Royale it actually states that the stove was designed and tested to operate on 12-14' of chimney... Measured from the base of the stove! Made me feel better about my 15' chimney, which I guess is actually 17' according to them. Still seems odd that they actually designed and tested it that low... Unless the top load feature opted them to design it to work with even the minimal amount of draft. I'm sure a couple of feet more won't hurt.

image.jpg

The Isle Royale breathes more freely than a lot of secondary tube stoves. But I would still switch to double-wall connector. It should match the brand of your thimble/exterior pipe and you may need an adapter. www.dynamitebuys.com has good pricing for Duravent and Selkirk.

Thanks Begreen, I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.