Double Wall or Triple Wall chimney pipe in chase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NVHunter

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Reno, NV
I'm going to build an enclosed chimney chase around a steel chimney.

Question is, do I have to use triple wall chimney pipe (Duraplus) per code or can I use double wall chimney pipe (Duratec)?

Should I, or do I have to insulate the interior of the chase? It's going to run in the exterior south side of my house.

I don't really know where to find the code answers unless I just keep calling my local county building department.

Thanks

Ok, spoke with the local building department with my county. They said I'm ok using double wall as long as I stay within the minimum clearances.

Both double and triple wall state a 2" clearance from combustibles.

Is triple wall any safer with the same 2" clearance requirement?

Also stated I do not have to insulate the chase. Would triple wall keep a warmer flue hence better draft than the double wall chimney pipe?

Thanks

I prefer DuraTech double-wall. It's their premium product. The pipe is less bulky and better insulated. Build the chase for triple wall clearances and install double-wall. That will give you an additional clearance safety margin.

Reactions: NVHunter
Begreen, that's my plan. Gonna have around 5" of clearance with the Duratec double wall.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.