Double wall pipe and chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I just installed a new stove and used double wall black pipe, with a four foot adjustable extension. It was a breeze to use, you just slip on top of the stove and slide up. Now I can inspect the chimney from inside the house. (OR CLEAN IT) I have a very tall and steep roof, so this is a real advantage. I just thought it would be safer to have that stainless inside the house. I also noticed I might be getting more draft. The single wall black pipe put a little more heat in the room, it also cooled down the exhaust gases and reduced the draft. The double wall pipe has vents, so it gives off some heat also, as it cools the outside. The stove weighs close to 500 pounds, so I thought this would be the easiest install also. Your not going to tip this stove to get under the chimney without a struggle.

While doing the new install I cleaned the old SS chimney from the inside. Very messy undertaking. That brush pops holes in that plastic bag real easy. Also I bunched up the plastic around the rod and put some tape on it to keep creosote from leaking out the bottom. But when you attach the extension rods the connector is much wider than the rod. PITA. If I cleaned the chimney from the roof top, I would have to disconnect the stove so the crud doesn't drop on top of my secondary combustion panel.

This pipe made the installation a 5 minuet job, more time to enjoy a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.