Double Wall Stainless Steel Chimney Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewsome

Feb 7, 2010
Long Island
Just had my chimney swept for the first time since I got my Jotul wood burning insert. Anyway, the guy tells me that the company that installed my insert used a "cheap" single wall stainless steel liner, and that they should have used a better double wall liner. He then quoted me $1300 for a new double wall liner. Besides the fact that I'm not looking to waste money, is there any truth to this single wall versus double wall business? IS there really that much of a difference in terms of performance or safety? Please help.

That is bullshit.
If it is working fine, then no worries.
I have double wall rigid. I got it because it is pre insulate between the shells.
But single wall is just fine. If you have draft issues, you may want to insulate it.
Unless the existing original lining is cracked or missing. The you should have insulation around the new liner to meet code.

I agree. Your system will always be better with an insulated liner. That said, every system has a personality. I would want to know that the basic masonry chimney is right and tight prior to adding additional cost to an old liner. What the sweep should have been telling you is the TOTAL system condition rather than looking only at the most obvious revenue generator. He wasn't wrong, just not thorough imho. Does your system operate properly? Keep your eye on it and research your options.

If the chimney is sound I wouldn't worry about it. If it drafts correctly and burns clean I wouldn't worry about the insulation. If all is working as it should I'd find a new sweep as a safe and properly working setup does not need to be changed. It appears he just wants a bit more money from you.

Matt

If your original chimney is not longer sound and didn't meet or exceed clearance to combustibles anymore, then you would need double wall insulated. Otherwise single wall is fine, insulated is better though.

pen

pen said:
If your original chimney is not longer sound and didn't meet or exceed clearance to combustibles anymore, then you would need double wall insulated. Otherwise single wall is fine, insulated is better though.

pen

I am fairly sure it would pass with the single wall being insulated.

Thanks guys -- awesome community support as always.

To answer your questions, the insert and liner are only about 18 months old. And I probably haven't even burned 2 cords yet. The guy did admit that the liner seemed fine, but said that for such a fine insert, it's a shame that such a cheap liner was used. He said it was OK for now, but then gave me a flyer showing pictures of 1 year old single wall liner that they supposedly removed which were already shredded and disintegrating. Seemed like exaggeration and overkill, but I certainly wouldn't want to put family at risk. But the fact is that it's a stainless steel liner contained within an exterior masonry chimney, it should be safe. And I have the believe the chimney is in good shape, or else he would have tried to sell me on that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.