Double wall stove pipe reducer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I'm considering attempting to run an 8" stove on a 6" chimney. No need for the lecture since I know it's not the best idea. I have a 30' chimney with a great draft and figure it's worth a shot before installing an 8" chimney.

Currently I have 6" double wall stove pipe from Simpson. I looked at their catalog and don't see a reducer from 8" to 6". I see Selkirk offers an 8" to 6" reducer for double wall.

I assume it can't be done by looking at the catalogs/construction of the pipes but has anyone mixed and matched the Selkirk and Simpson double wall pipes? Or does Simpson offer a reducer that I'm not seeing in their catalog?

I'd hate to buy all new Selkirk pipe but if I have to I'll do it. That way when the 6" chimney doesn't work I'll have all the 8" pipe purchased already. :lol:

I haven't seen an 8 x 6 double-wall reducer from Simpson. If this is a test, what about running single-wall to see how the stove drafts? Or is this a really long run of pipe?

PS: what stove is this?

an 8 to 6 single wall reducer, properly crimped and stuffed into the chimney, should accept a dw pipe and be covered enough by the pipe and insulated chimney to make it work.

BeGreen said:
I haven't seen an 8 x 6 double-wall reducer from Simpson. If this is a test, what about running single-wall to see how the stove drafts? Or is this a really long run of pipe?

PS: what stove is this?

Stove in question would be a BKK. I could run the single wall for test purposes, it's not a long run of pipe. Biggest issue is getting the wife on board with the additional cost involved for installing the 8" liner if the 6" stuff doesn't work. I would also have to steal the flue from our fireplace since it's the only flue out of the three big enough to fit an 8" liner. We really don't use the fireplace though since the chimney needs some work so I can probably sell that.

I can understand your concern, especially during shoulder season burning at a low setting. Sounds like a good question for BlazeKing support. They may be able to give you some specific and measurable draft requirements.

BeGreen said:
I can understand your concern, especially during shoulder season burning at a low setting. Sounds like a good question for BlazeKing support. They may be able to give you some specific and measurable draft requirements.

This is the best advice, I'll travel this road when I get closer to making a move. IIRC I think their manual lists some draft requirements.

At this point I think I'll end up with a princess and be happy. The princess is bigger than my endeavor so it'll still be a step up. My main reason for wanting the king is a future addition we have planned and I'd like to not have to buy another stove once that happens. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.