Double wall temp. Strange

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoostas

Jun 1, 2013
Manitoba, Canada
Hello, I'm hoping I can get some info or at least set my mind at ease. I have read through many posts regarding the double wall temps issue but I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies!
I have an Alderlea T5 with double wall(icc ultra black) up to the 8' ceiling, then chimney through the attic and out. Total lengthy about 14'ish.
When it was WETT installed I was told I could not install a probe type flue guage or it would null the certified install (is this only Canada??)
So last year I was typically seeing pipe temps (outer, 18" up using IR gun) of about 125*C when it was cruising nice. Stovetop temps would be about 230-270*C.
This year the stove pipe temps are much higher, getting up to 150 and even 200*C before dampering down. But the stovetop temps are similar to last year.
I'm am burning poplar instead of ash this year so that could have something to do with it. I guess I'm wondering if seeing 200*C on the double wall is scary? Assuming a conservative X3 factor that would mean temporary temps of 600*C inside which is within spec for max continuous right. Am I worrying for nothing????!
I'm so paranoid.
Sorry this is so long, thanks for any input. :)

I'm not familiar with you particular stove, is there anyway the baffle could be out of place? 200*C is 392*F so that's cooking pretty good for the outside of a double wall pipe!

Check on the actual Canadian code for probe thermometers. This is the first time I have heard of an issue. Surface temps on double-wall are pretty inaccurate. The type of wood burned will change flue temps. Some light and dry wood will outgas quicker and may require shutting down the air quickly to compensate.

Come to think if it last year when we switched to poplar late in the year I did notice a very big difference in flue temps. Maybe I will just have to damper it down way quicker.
The baffle seems fine from what I can tell, same type of secondaries at same stovetop temps. I just replaced the baffle gasket this year too. No issues encountered when doing that.

Well I'm a little embarrassed to admit that my problem with the high pipe temps appears to have been as simple as the ash trap door being a bit jammed open letting in too much air.
Oye. :/

Simple fix, I love those kinds. :) Sounds like you caught it before any damage was done.

Ya thankful. I was checking the baffle and flame guard to make sure it was all good racking my brain. Geesh. The little things.

Our T6 ash trap has been closed for the past 4 years. Tried it once and that was enough.

I was just at a stove shop the other day and asked if he sold probe thermometers and he also said that he doesn't sell them as it would not be certified if drilling a hole in the double wall.

I had bought a probe to have the installer put in when I got the stove. He said no can do. Voids the WETT.

Status
Not open for further replies.