Double walled Stove pipe through chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wolfie 74

Nov 2, 2023
BC
Hi there. I have recently purchased a little cabin in the woods. It came with an open wood fireplace. I lit a fire twice and got smoked out both times.
The whole fireplace is surrounded by a rugged stone mantle and as a whole is encased in stone masonry. The same can be said for the 15foot tall chimney which has a 10"x10" ceramic liner. My best guess for the smoke show is that the chimney just doesn't create enough draft to suck out all the exhaust gases. Even when the fire is roaring.. smoke still escapes into the cabin instead of out the chimney.
I have decided that I want to put a wood burning insert in the existing fireplace for a more efficient and pleasant experience.
I have looked around and it seems most people suggest to just get a stainless steel flex tube insert and run that down the chimney. Wouldn't a straight pipe without all the ribs inside the flexpipe be a better choice. In my head, the harmonica like rings in the flex tube would surely cause an impedance to the escaping gases and also get full of soot and ash sooner plus it would be harder to clean.
Question is: If I decide to go with the stove pipe, should i go with a single or double walled stove pipe. Wouldn't a double wall provide for an even better draft, less condensation and soot build up?
I did read somewhere that said to never run a double walled stove pipe down a chimney chase....but it didn't give any reason.
Some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

Wolfie

Since you have an existing masonry chimney you need a UL approved chimney liner. Stove pipe, single or double wall is not allowed for this application. You can get rigid stainless liner. You must secure each section to the previous one. Flex liner is durable but stay away from the smooth wall or double wall flex liners. They are inferior to to a mid or heavy weight liner. Understand code for chimney clearances exterior requires 1 inch clearance to all combustibles the is from the outside masonry to all combustibles including framing and roof sheeting. Interior requires 2 inches. If clearances are not met you need an insulated liner.

In this case, just plan on an insulated liner. It will warm up quicker and draft better. Rigid liner is available preinsulated for an easy install. Consider an insert that breathes easily and will work on a shorter liner. For suggestions, tell us more about the cabin. How large of an area would be heated by the insert? Is the cabin occupied full-time or just occasionally in the winter? Will there be supplemental heat besides the insert?

Thank you for your guy’s input.
I found a used wood fireplace insert with a 6’ hole for the stove pipe. It’s a straight 20’ shot from the top of the flue to the insert so I feel single walled stainless steel pipe should be fine.
The cabin in the woods is literally only around 380 sq’ with a 150 sq’ loft.

IMG_6200.jpeg IMG_6198.jpeg IMG_6195.jpeg IMG_6201.jpeg

Looks straightforward. The chimney should be cleaned and the 6" stainless liner should be insulated.

Reactions: Wolfie 74