Doublewall pipe install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’d be better if they shipped the manual in the box, but you’re right, at least they are easy to find online.

With good phone support and online directions, think of it as paper and cost saved.

BeGreen said:
It’d be better if they shipped the manual in the box, but you’re right, at least they are easy to find online.

With good phone support and online directions, think of it as paper and cost saved.

Fair enough.

You mentioned that in one install you did screw in the upper adapter that goes to the ceiling box and in another you didn't, did you find it a good idea to screw in that adapter or totally unnecessary? I'm leaning towards not screwing it in since Duravent doesn't recommend it. The stove adapter will be screwed in on the stove and to the pipe.

It's one rigid unit with the connector lengths and slip pipe screwed together and then screwed to the stove. The pipe is not going anywhere installed correctly. After living with the first installation for several years I was less concerned when I installed the greenhouse stove.

I suspect my initial concern was different than yours. We live in an earthquake zone. I didn't want pipe detaching if the stove started walking. The better solution is to screw down the stove to the hearth so this can't happen.

BeGreen said:
It's one rigid unit with the connector lengths and slip pipe screwed together and then screwed to the stove. The pipe is not going anywhere installed correctly. After living with the first installation for several years I was less concerned when I installed the greenhouse stove.

I suspect my initial concern was different than yours. We live in an earthquake zone. I didn't want pipe detaching if the stove started walking. The better solution is to screw down the stove to the hearth so this can't happen.

Good to know. We are indeed in a different solution, not many earth quakes here in Maine - at least not sizeable ones.

Thanks for the input.

The double wall simpson attaches to the ceiling box with a snap in SS collar. That collar is a sort of male/male deal that locks into the double wall really really well and then shoves up into the super thick snout of the ceiling support box. You're also not getting screws into both sides of the male/male connection. Maybe into the stove pipe side.

The SS collar just pushes into the ceiling box and loosely snaps into place allowing for easy pullout when you clean it.

joecool85 said:
Ok, I heard back from Englander. They recommend using RTV3 silicone to connect the stove adapter to the stove rather than screws. I was not feeling great about that (only rated to 450F) and asked if Rutland stove cement is ok (rated to 2000F) and they said that was ok.

Wouldn't silicone rated for 450F burn up? I figure the stoves normal operating range is 350-550 with 650 being an overfire. The chimney connector must get WELL above 450F.

I should note that I did use Rutland 2000F cement (or 2100F, I forget), and I've been running the stove for over a week now. Even during a nice hot 550F fire, that stove collar stays around 300-350F, so I suppose that technically silicone could work. I still wouldn't feel great about using it though and would recommend using stove cement instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.