Doug Fir Okanagan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbone

Jan 11, 2011
Buchanan, New York
The hearth place near me in Westchester , NY said they were able to try a Doug Fir version of Okanagan pellets
He said they were the greatest thing since sliced bread, but...
would cost about $400 a ton or $9 a bag
anybody else have info or experience with them?

$9.00 a bag, ouch! :wow:

I just tried my first bag of softies (Spruce Pointe), and I really likey, but that was at $5.99 per bag, so I can't image these being $3.01 per bag better.

1D

That price is nuts. No one wil buy them at that price. There isn't that much increase in heat output over the spruce to justify an additional $125/ton.

I'm sure I'll get mail from Mr. Warm! But to me, It sounds like the dealer has the price jacked! $9 bucks a bag or $400/ton. They would have to really be something! I haven't burned them, So I can't say much about them!

I was supposed to get some, So we could see what we might expect! But all I got was hot air!!

For $400!!!! Thats crazy. I can buy 2 ton for that price!!!! ;-P

I wish we had a better pellet selection here in Ohio. My local dealers (within 20 min) seem to think a Pellet is a Pellet. They mainly sell woodstoves. One has sold one M-55 and that was to a Forum member here (Eatonpcat). They dont push on them real hard. Not big pellet stove people around these parts. Wish they were.

Would be nice to see some Softies roll into town. Particularly near the Cleveland/Medina/Ashland area. I wouldnt pay $400.... But I would pay a premium for them.. Hamers and Turmans are a statements over and there are none in the area.

$400 a ton!! Yikes, that best come with a Victoria's Secret model to clean my stove every Sunday AM. I've never used Okies because of the price. I have used mostly the cheapo Maine's Choice/Maine Woods, CleanFire and Granules LG this winter and had all the heat I needed for $229-$249 a ton. Now, are these pellets a little dirtier and give off less heat than the Okies, probably, but the slight loss of heat and little more ash more than compensate for the difference in prices/ton With the exception of the coldest nights, I have to open bedroom windows to draft out the excess heat upstairs sometimes. So getting more heat just seams a little crazy at those prices, just my $0.02!

Bank said:
$400 a ton!! Yikes, that best come with a Victoria's Secret model to clean my stove every Sunday AM. I've never used Okies because of the price. I have used mostly the cheapo Maine's Choice/Maine Woods, CleanFire and Granules LG this winter and had all the heat I needed for $229-$249 a ton. Now, are these pellets a little dirtier and give off less heat than the Okies, probably, but the slight loss of heat and little more ash more than compensate for the difference in prices/ton With the exception of the coldest nights, I have to open bedroom windows to draft out the excess heat upstairs sometimes. So getting more heat just seams a little crazy at those prices, just my $0.02!

My thoughts exactly. I don't like the Maines Choice much. LOTS of little 1/16" chuncks. And for some reason, they seem to buildup a lot more carbon in my burnpot than Greene Team.

Yeah, I don';t think I'll get the Maine's Choice again but the Maine Woods (stove on bag) seemed to be OK! The pellets were very light compared to others I used. But they gave off good heat and ash was OK! I can live with ash as long as the heat is there, I clean the stove every Sunday, so it never gets all that dirty!

Bank said:
Yeah, I don';t think I'll get the Maine's Choice again but the Maine Woods (stove on bag) seemed to be OK! The pellets were very light compared to others I used. But they gave off good heat and ash was OK! I can live with ash as long as the heat is there, I clean the stove every Sunday, so it never gets all that dirty!

I also clean stove weekly and with the big ash bucket, I don't mind the extra ash for the cheaper pellets.

for that price I could use fuel oil again.

Those must be made from unobtainum. That is $85 (on a per ton basis than oil) more than fuel oil is. That must be a high rent district.

A quote from Mr. Warm.

All I am going to comment on is " We don't set dealer pricing and some dealers are asking for healthy margins"

We haven't offered or had DF pellets since last summer….don't see any coming anytime soon either

So maybe this dealer is testing the water to see how much he can fetch for them before he orders more. My guess is he's gonna sit on them for a while at that price. But you just never know! There are suckers born every minute!

oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
A quote from Mr. Warm.

All I am going to comment on is " We don't set dealer pricing and some dealers are asking for healthy margins"

We haven't offered or had DF pellets since last summer….don't see any coming anytime soon either

So maybe this dealer is testing the water to see how much he can fetch for them before he orders more. My guess is he's gonna sit on them for a while at that price. But you just never know! There are suckers born every minute!

so as the OP states " oakies " these can not be oakies per Mr Warm saying he dont have any or hasnt since last summer? Im confused

Oh there okies doug fir. just left over stock as Mr. Warm is all out at the mill. Some dealers were sitting on them I guess!

oldmountvernon said:
ah ok so like anything else they sit on them long enough they will sell, since there isnt anymore in production right now seems like the thing to do

Too bad you can't get them for $150/ton hey! :cheese:

oldmountvernon said:
j-takeman said:
oldmountvernon said:
ah ok so like anything else they sit on them long enough they will sell, since there isnt anymore in production right now seems like the thing to do

Too bad you can't get them for $150/ton hey! :cheese:

come on for those i would go 175 ! :cheese:

Chicken litter $45/ton tops.

They'll be sitting on them for quite awhile at that price. We wood pellet people are crazy.....but we're not stupid.

When they (dealer) are still sitting on them in June the price will come down.

I'd wait till they were (summer price) >$250/ton

If not it's no deal.

---Nailer---

Aah, the beauty of the FREE MARKET economy! Death to OPEC!!!!

Mr. Warm is trying to get more DF to market over here! But there isn't a steady supply of fiber. So we may or maynot see them again.

We can get blazers and IMHO "IF" we keep raising our hands over here. Someone else will ship some over! Just don't expect to pay peanuts for them.

@$400/ton they better be 16,000btu per pound!!

Status
Not open for further replies.