Doug fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freddy

Jan 23, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I have access to what seems to be a great deal..5 cords of doug fir cut but not split and left uncovered for 3 years. I am hoping this stuff isn't rotten or soft when split. Anyone ever leave their wood out in the elements this long without deteriorating?

Thanks for any input.

From your location you likely get lots of moisture. I would suggest going there with an axe and maul and splitting a few from different areas in the stacks to see before purchasing. Ive seen rounds of larch bucked and stacked in the woods by forestry go bad after three years but that was stacked on the ground in the forest with no chance for sun.

Im sure you can salvage a good percentage of solid wood out of the pile. Stuff on the bottom in contact with soil might have turned.
I have white pine laying on the ground in my lot and it remarkably stays solid.
In fact I use some of the straighter stuff for runners on my wood racks.
The only question would be if you have to take the whole pile...meaning you must dispose of the gone punky stuff?
Take some random pieces and cut them to test rot levels.

I have some ash that has been sitting unsplit in a stack in my back yard. When I started to split it I found it very tough to split but it was nice and dry. I have no idea how well douglas fir holds up.

I work with our local community garden group. We have built a number of raised beds over the years, and were advised to use Doug Fir as a good compromise between cost and rot resistance. We have some beds that have been there three or four years, and we are talking filled with soil right up against the bed walls, and kept watered during the growing season. They are all still quite sound to this point.

100_1469.JPG

Reactions: weatherguy
Thanks all.

This stuff was pretty solid. I too thought it was iffy due to our NW climate. Believe it or not for being a NW burner, most of the wood I burn is hard wood (a lot of fruit woods) but I do like doug fir and how hot it burns. Still has a 40% moisture content but should be easily ready to burn next winter.

We like pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.