Doves nesting in the woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
Couple days ago I was surprised to discover a dove sitting in her nest atop some Larch that's stacked in my woodshed. Went out a few minutes ago to take her photograph, and she was out roosting on my fence...but I found these two little doves anxiously waiting for her to bring back some supper.

Dove2.jpg

Doves are known for building meager nest out of just a few small twigs. We've had a few nesting pairs in our yard the past few years and seen more nests fall down.

They are nice company to have around.

They're one of the more relaxing birds to watch- slow paced, easy going.

Had a small bird in my basement yesterday, poor thing bashed around hitting windows for 5-10 min before finding the bulkhead door out.

Yeah, I have lots of doves living here around me, and I find them to be pleasant "company". I also have scads of California Quail, which are pretty interesting to watch. They can fly perfectly well, but spend most of their time on the ground. They build their nests on the ground, under cover of brush or whatever, and there may be 18 - 20 eggs in a clutch. To watch the adults (who remain paired up to raise the hatchlings) start taking the family on outings is a riot. One adult in the lead, the other keeping an eye on the back door, and in between a caravan of little feathered ping pong balls with their teensy little legs moving in a blur trying to keep up. They're fun to have around, as well.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Well, I actually oughta start seeing some new families here in the next few weeks. I'll keep a camera handy & see if I can capture me some California Quail.

When I was working wildlife in your part of the country we had an understanding that weird sounds coming from the vegetation were either a corvid or a cali quail.

cool beans. I have a couple of pairs that must be nesting in my trees. I know they can sure clean up a pile of bird seed on the ground in short order.

This family nested in the grape vines over our pergola a few years ago.

Attachments

• DSC05877.JPG
    DSC05877.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 92
Status
Not open for further replies.