Dovre DDVi NG Burner Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PSwafford

Dec 10, 2015
Oregon
Hi. Just found this forum and am hoping for a bit of wisdom and education. Our house has a Dovre DDVi NG fireplace insert, likely installed 1996 or 1997. It worked beautifully for the first 2 winters we've owned it. This winter, we've had 2 techs out; forget the first one--there wasn't a bird's nest in the chimney. The 2nd determined there were two holes in the burner, packed some steel wool in there & said "no parts from the manufacturer."

So, it "works" but I cannot think steel wool is the answer.

Are there any options other than paying the big bucks for a complete new insert? That's a bit out of the budget.

Thank you for any ideas, and ELI5 (Explain Like I'm 5)

Peg

What does the burner look like? Is it a straight tube? H shaped? U shaped?
Maybe pull it out & take to a local welder.
He might be able to repair what you have or fabricate a new one for you.

The burner is U shaped. The holes are at the tip end of each leg of the U.

What makes a burner unique to one make/model of stove over another? I guess I'm asking whether substitution of a burner is a possibility, as the manufacturer no longer supports this unit?

I will try to locate a welder. That's a really good idea.

Thank you.

download_20160107_053658.jpg An update, in the event it might be helpful to someone else.

First, taking someone else's word, I had not seen the burner. It is serpentine and the hole had burnt near one curve.

The fix was a section of copper pipe/tubing and stainless steel clamps. Holes were drilled in the copper to correspond with the holes in the burner.

I have confidence in the person performing the repair, or would not have allowed it. It has been working beautifully for a couple of weeks now. Are there long term concerns with such a repair?

Thank you

View attachment 171324 An update, in the event it might be helpful to someone else.

First, taking someone else's word, I had not seen the burner. It is serpentine and the hole had burnt near one curve.

The fix was a section of copper pipe/tubing and stainless steel clamps. Holes were drilled in the copper to correspond with the holes in the burner.

I have confidence in the person performing the repair, or would not have allowed it. It has been working beautifully for a couple of weeks now. Are there long term concerns with such a repair?

Thank you

You will need to talk to a physicist or a chemist to determine whether or not there will be
a corrosive galvanic reaction between the copper & the stainless steel. If there is, you will
know when the flame pattern changes. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.