Dovre Model 300h Smoke Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan Childress

Dec 1, 2013
Ashland MA
Hey everyone this is my first time posting on this forum hope anyone can help any advice is appreciated before I have to call the local stove guys!!

I recently acquired an older wood stove for my house through a friend. It is a Dovre 300h it's in great shape couple things wrong here and there but nothing that would cause these problems I'm having. I've noticed recently in the past couple days the stove not producing as much heat as it usually does and if it does it takes an abnormal amount of time to get hot. Yesterday it started to smoke a lot. It has what I believe to be a second burn chamber or some type of smoke converter at the top I will have exact pics to show what I mean. It has a small vent that comes out the side of the stove where smokes now pours out of along with around one of the front doors. All gaskets that this top portion sits on and doors have been replaces correctly.

Could that top portion that has what I believe is a cat converter for stoves be clogged up
-or-
Is my stove pipe potentially clogged it is a straight tube out the back to a 90 angle straight up about 2 feet where it meets the flue of the chimney

The stove is clean all around air vents and ash catcher so it's getting air but it's choking the stove and now it's almost impossible to start a fire

Please help its December in the middle of a New England winter for me!!!

PICS:

Last edited:
Can you pull the pipe and inspect? How much wood have you put through the stove since you installed it?

How is this vented through the chimney? Liner? Block off plate? Did you sweep before starting to burn if not a new flue? Have you looked on line to see if here is a manual available for this stove? If so, read it. You should understand how your stove works. If it is a cat stove, it should be very easy to check the cat and see whether it is (a) there (b) plugged (c) crumbling or (d) fine. What are the "couple of things wrong here and there but nothing that would cause these problems"'? I would not try burning in this stove until you understand how it functions, are sure your flues are cleaned and the stove is properly connected, and are sue there are no dangerous issues with the stove itself.

Can you pull the pipe and inspect? How much wood have you put through the stove since you installed it?

I am taking the piping off tomorrow to inspect it and I have put aout 4 or 5 cords between this past year and the past 2 months I had the chimney lining cleaned the local stove place Lunkers is a very well known place been around for a long time they said my lining looked ok and somewhat clean already

I am taking the piping off tomorrow to inspect it and I have put aout 4 or 5 cords between this past year and the past 2 months I had the chimney lining cleaned the local stove place Lunkers is a very well known place been around for a long time they said my lining looked ok and somewhat clean already
So if I get you correctly you've put 5+ cords through the stove? If so its time to clean and inspect. The pipe at the elbows tends to accumulate creosote and that can happen fast. This is especially true if the wood is marginal (not fully seasoned). Seasoned = 2yrs since split). Once the draft slows creosote deposits quicker and quicker, it's a vicious cycle ;lol and can occur long before 5 cords.

How is this vented through the chimney? Liner? Block off plate? Did you sweep before starting to burn if not a new flue? Have you looked on line to see if here is a manual available for this stove? If so, read it. You should understand how your stove works. If it is a cat stove, it should be very easy to check the cat and see whether it is (a) there (b) plugged (c) crumbling or (d) fine. What are the "couple of things wrong here and there but nothing that would cause these problems"'? I would not try burning in this stove until you understand how it functions, are sure your flues are cleaned and the stove is properly connected, and are sue there are no dangerous issues with the stove itself.

I believe its a liner there is just a large opening where my mother had a firepit I know very little about the stove not much information is available threw Dovre themselves. Theres what appears to be steel lining the large opening it has 4 vents that are what ive heard and seen online called "heatilator vents". My friend who put his stove in and my large fisher stove in my shop put it in it isnt "perfect" by a professional standpoint but it was working very well and i had no issues with anything around it getting to hot.Can i take a picture tomorrow during the day and possibly give you a btter idea what I am dealing with? the few things wrong are just the ash catchers on the sides have been broken off im in the process of trying to have my friend who does metal work help me put em back on but i have a decent size hearth.Stove is properly connected screwed together all pieces facing the direction you are supposted to have them flow. There are no appearent dangerous issues with it but then again thats why I am here because there is little information on this model stove.

So if I get you correctly you've put 5+ cords through the stove? If so its time to clean and inspect. The pipe at the elbows tends to accumulate creosote and that can happen fast. This is especially true if the wood is marginal (not fully seasoned). Seasoned = 2yrs since split). Once the draft slows creosote deposits quicker and quicker, it's a vicious cycle ;lol and can occur long before 5 cords.

Yea thats what I was concerned about I hadnt really had time to clean it and it just got pushed aside cause my mom lives alone and I cant make it over all the time but thank you for the information I will nmake sure to take it apart tomrrow and really inspect it

Yea thats what I was concerned about I hadnt really had time to clean it and it just got pushed aside cause my mom lives alone and I cant make it over all the time but thank you for the information I will nmake sure to take it apart tomrrow and really inspect it
Good luck and let us know what you find, might help someone else, pics are always welcome.

I'm not really following what is going on here, so will be pleased to see pictures tomorrow. Is this stove simply vented into the remains of a heatilator installation? Pictures tomorrow will certainly be helpful.

I'm not really following what is going on here, so will be pleased to see pictures tomorrow. Is this stove simply vented into the remains of a heatilator installation? Pictures tomorrow will certainly be helpful.
Sounds to me the fireplace itself is an old heatilator but the stove is vented above it directly into the clay flue. Pics would be good.

Sounds to me the fireplace itself is an old heatilator but the stove is vented above it directly into the clay flue. Pics would be good.

Yes thats basically what I am dealing with> And i got it working correctly the piping was almost completely clogged took it apart and cleaned it out really good and it is working as it was before the problems thank you so much for the help and advice I will have pics up soon to show what i was dealing with.

Yes basically the I have the pipe going up and meeting the rectangluar flue lining that is up above the whole heatilaor unit. Smoke comes out the tube going up and right intot he flue. pics will be up shortly to help understand

You are doing right by checking the flue to see if you are getting sudden build up. This could happen if you recently switched wood stacks and the current wood is not fully seasoned. You need to eliminate that as a possibility.

We've had a couple informative threads on this stove. If the problem persists after cleaning and if this is a non-cal model, the problem could be the turbulator is plugged or falling apart. But first you need to determine if this is the cat model, or no. If cat, check to see if it is plugged with ash. If so, lightly and carefully vacuum with a brush adapter.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/dovre-300h-woodburning-stove.53357/

You are doing right by checking the flue to see if you are getting sudden build up. This could happen if you recently switched wood stacks and the current wood is not fully seasoned. You need to eliminate that as a possibility.

We've had a couple informative threads on this stove. If the problem persists after cleaning and if this is a non-cal model, the problem could be the turbulator is plugged or falling apart. But first you need to determine if this is the cat model, or no. If cat, check to see if it is plugged with ash. If so, lightly and carefully vacuum with a brush adapter.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/dovre-300h-woodburning-stove.53357/

Thank you very much ill try and determine what exact kind of stove I have and see what else could potentially be wrong. Again thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.