Down draft sanding table?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Looking to build my own anyone done this or advice? (with a shopvac)

dude you really need to talk to me first, I have some plans starting one next week. Lol

MMaul said:
dude you really need to talk to me first, I have some plans starting one next week. Lol

Cool Let me know what your doing......And I know you have a good mix for cutting boards?

My dad and I built one. It's a drum sander with a port in the based to hook a shop vac up to. Size is really up to you...mine is about 14" wide. It's been a while but I'll explain what I can from memory. Dimensions on some stuff might be slightly off:

Build a solid base in a rectangle shape. Metal is best but I used some 2" thick by 8" boards. Make sure the top is perfectly level. We put them side by side on edge and ran them thru the planer.

Mount some pillow bearings on the short sides of the rectangle (you'll need to know the diameter of the axle you'll use before buying obviously). We bought these new for about 10 bucks.

Create the drum. We made a jig and cut out a bunch of wood circles about 1.5" in diameter. Next you'll need an axle for the drum. I got a piece of 3/8 tool grade steel from a friend at a fab shop. Laminate the wood circles together on the axle with wood glue.

Next part has a couple ways to do it. I chucked up the drum in a lathe and sanded smooth and even checking diameter with calipers to make sure it was nice and even. Either way...get the drum smooth and consistent size.

Cover the drum with velco and then some sandpaper. Dada already had some paper that stuck to Velcro...no idea where he got it.

Cut a keyway (buddy at fab shop on mill) on the axle and put a pulley on it.

Mount axle to bearings.

For the top, we used the sink cut-out of a counter top. Nice flat/smooth/slick surface. Cut the opening at an angle so only part of the drum protrudes. So it would look something like this /0...where the 0 is the drum and is slightly above the top of the laminate top. One end of the top is hinged (length-ways) so you can get the height dialed in correctly by shimming the other (we used metal tape).

We had a 1/3 horse motor from and old squirrel cage fan. Made a hinged mounting bracket on the side for the motor that allows gravity to tension the belt.

Light switch for on/off and and a heavy gauge cord for power.

Drill hole in base big enough for shop vac.

Overall it works pretty good. Not pro-grade but for about $20 you can't beat it.

lukem said:
My dad and I built one. It's a drum sander with a port in the based to hook a shop vac up to. Size is really up to you...mine is about 14" wide. It's been a while but I'll explain what I can from memory. Dimensions on some stuff might be slightly off:

Build a solid base in a rectangle shape. Metal is best but I used some 2" thick by 8" boards. Make sure the top is perfectly level. We put them side by side on edge and ran them thru the planer.

Mount some pillow bearings on the short sides of the rectangle (you'll need to know the diameter of the axle you'll use before buying obviously). We bought these new for about 10 bucks.

Create the drum. We made a jig and cut out a bunch of wood circles about 1.5" in diameter. Next you'll need an axle for the drum. I got a piece of 3/8 tool grade steel from a friend at a fab shop. Laminate the wood circles together on the axle with wood glue.

Next part has a couple ways to do it. I chucked up the drum in a lathe and sanded smooth and even checking diameter with calipers to make sure it was nice and even. Either way...get the drum smooth and consistent size.

Cover the drum with velco and then some sandpaper. Dada already had some paper that stuck to Velcro...no idea where he got it.

Cut a keyway (buddy at fab shop on mill) on the axle and put a pulley on it.

Mount axle to bearings.

For the top, we used the sink cut-out of a counter top. Nice flat/smooth/slick surface. Cut the opening at an angle so only part of the drum protrudes. So it would look something like this /0...where the 0 is the drum and is slightly above the top of the laminate top. One end of the top is hinged (length-ways) so you can get the height dialed in correctly by shimming the other (we used metal tape).

We had a 1/3 horse motor from and old squirrel cage fan. Made a hinged mounting bracket on the side for the motor that allows gravity to tension the belt.

Light switch for on/off and and a heavy gauge cord for power.

Drill hole in base big enough for shop vac.

Overall it works pretty good. Not pro-grade but for about $20 you can't beat it.

Yes that me I have about 20 bucks.....What I want to do is a table 7ft x 3 ft. Make a small section of that table for a down draft sanding, and still have lots of table space. Lots of great ideas there. Thank you! What part of Indiana?

Parke County

You don't need a Performax 22-44 plus do you. I bought one from an employee last year that needed money. I haven't even used it yet.
Doug

djblech said:
You don't need a Performax 22-44 plus do you. I bought one from an employee last year that needed money. I haven't even used it yet.
Doug

Well yes I need one..lol not sure I can afford it?

the handyman magazine had plans for building one and using the drill press as a drum sander so the whole drum surface can be used.....basically a hollow shallow box with a vacuum connection and hole for the sanding drum....it might be on their website...it was this mos or last month's issue

Status
Not open for further replies.