Down to the Last Bite of The Elephant......And Then!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
I was down to the last 18 x 52 inch red oak round to split from that giant load a tree service dumped a couple of months ago when I came back from a walk last evening and found someone, completely unknown to me, dumped another big red oak. This one is quite dead and mostly barkless and much of the sap wood is gone but the centers are rock hard. Thank you who ever you are! :eek:

KIMG0003 (1024x768).jpg

Over by Rabbit Hash? Sorry, just like saying (well typing) Rabbit Hash... Anyway, wish people would do that in my yard, nice stack!

Did you have a parting conversation with the tree guy last time, something along the lines of: 'If you are ever in the neighborhood again and have some wood to unload.....'?

Over by Rabbit Hash?

Yep, close enough to Rabbit Hash to be considered a resident of the "Republic of Rabbit Hash." That place is as much a state of mind as it is a destination. I'd love to get my hands on a Rabbit Hash Wood Stove made by the old Rabbit Hash Iron Works. Three of my neighbors have originals and there's one in the general store.

Did you have a parting conversation with the tree guy last time, something along the lines of: 'If you are ever in the neighborhood again and have some wood to unload.....'?

Oh yeah, I sure did. I said anytime you are in my area feel free to dump, no need to phone ahead. I don't think it was them because, while it's a nice haul, it's small for one of their loads.

Wood fairy strikes again! ==c
That looks pretty dry, right there. Did you meter the smaller ones?
I'm cutting some limbs off of down Reds here. They are low 20s MC, and I'm going to see how fast they'll dry in a new stacking spot I have access to....good sun and on top of a hill with open field to the SW for those hot summer breezes. :cool:

Wood fairy strikes again! ==c
That looks pretty dry, right there. Did you meter the smaller ones?
I'm cutting some limbs off of down Reds here. They are low 20s MC, and I'm going to see how fast they'll dry in a new stacking spot I have access to....good sun and on top of a hill with open field to the SW for those hot summer breezes. :cool:

Nope, I've not checked any of it yet. It was about sunset when the fairy left it, too late to mess with it and this morning, so far, I've just walked around the pile scratching my head and thinking........:p

I scrounged a small amount of Red a couple of months ago that was so light and dry that I just split it and stacked it in my SIL's shed. :) Big trunk pieces, too...

sure looks like beautiful country in that pic. Drove thru kentucky once and couldnt help but marvel at the beautiful country side, loved all the white wood pasture fencing and rolling hills. I think i'd like living there.

Reactions: Applesister
Oh yeah, I sure did. I said anytime you are in my area feel free to dump, no need to phone ahead. I don't think it was them because, while it's a nice haul, it's small for one of their loads.

Smaller loads are good especially for the same low low price. I find them much easier to work, especially with my limited workspace. There is less of a mess to get buried under while you are pulling it apart and cutting it to size. Fewer rounds in your way as you cut them up. All in all you are able to work more efficiently.

Reactions: Applesister
sure looks like beautiful country in that pic. Drove thru kentucky once and couldnt help but marvel at the beautiful country side, loved all the white wood pasture fencing and rolling hills. I think i'd like living there.
I know, "what pretty fencing and pastureland," said the horsewoman.
My father was from Kentucky and Ive never been there. :-(
The free wood is nice and all...but you are lucky it was oak and not a nasty pile of old rotten pallets or something worse. If you are being blessed by some mystery goodwill gesture, thank God it is Oak.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Primo driveway score! Pretty pieceo' land also!

Ralph, I sure wish those folks knew my address. ;)

Reactions: yooperdave
If you don't want the wood put it on a barge with my address. That is a nice surprise.

Prime stuff right thar.

I got some old dead oak like that last August, burned most of it this winter , was 18% MC inside 22" rounds
But I had to go pick it up and bring it home :p

Status
Not open for further replies.