Q&A Downdrafts in a 2 sided prefab

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I've got a 2 sided Martin prefab fireplace. It was installed when I had my house built 8 years ago. In my previous home I had a stove in the fireplace- so my wife and I were looking forward to some good fires in our new home. Unfortunately- whenever we use it we get smoke coming out of either side of the fireplace. I've kept windows open and had hot fires. I've installed a VacuStak recently and the problem persists. I'm now considering putting in a new 1 sided fireplace. Will this help or are there other things I should try or give up.(Put a plant in it) I have a forced hot air furnace; could this air circulation be the problem? Thanks.

Answer:

Double sided fireplaces are often plagued with draft problems...but pre-fabs are usually the exception to the rule. Since the fireplace is "factory-built" - this eliminates some of the variables.I assume you've tried it with glass doors installed on one or both sides- this will cut down the amount of draft it needs to operate without smoking.If that does not work- then extending the chimney- or installing an electric draft inducer cap may be your only remedies.

Status
Not open for further replies.