Downed Trees on city property

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevea621j

Dec 3, 2015
Augusta, GA
I have a question. There is a large area of undeveloped woods around our city's water treatment plant. There have been many downed trees in there for years that the city never has done anything about so I know they don't have a contract with anyone to clean this land up. This weekend 4 good sized trees came down that are right along the road and unsightly. The land is posted only no dumping and is not fenced. I am sure if I went to the city to ask to take the trees they would find a reason to say no. I am tempted to just go out there and get it. My question, if I were to go out there one sunday and take what I can get in the interest of civic duty to clean up our town, what is the worst that could happen?

If they are close to the road and anyone challenges you could say they were unstable and you were clearing them for safety reasons. It is almost certainly one of those situations where it's in everyone's interest that you take the wood but no one is prepared to take responsibility and give the nod.

How big is the city / town? It may be worthwhile to ask someone in town hall.

Several years ago a huge oak blew down in a town park. Dad inquired with town hall. They said removal prices were outrageous and balked at giving him permission to cut. He offered a $100 donation to the town general fund and they accepted the offer.

Part way through his cutting operation word spread (someone from town hall did it) and the next thing Dad knew there was someone from the newspaper there asking him for his story. Something about a 70 year old retired guy with a heart condition cutting up a 44" diameter oak was newsworthy. He hauled 17 massive loads home in his Z-71. When I say massive we are talking butt dragging axel on the bump stops massive.

After his story was in the newspaper, we framed it for a birthday present.

DSC00086.jpg

I would try and get in touch with someone from the city, but after 3 unanswered calls, I would go cut and blame it on safety :)

You never know . . . I asked Parks and Rec one year after an ice storm decimated several trees in the park taking down several large branches and they gave me the go ahead to clean up what I could. A win-win for me and the City.

However, when I attempted to liberate some wood at the wood dump (I figured incorrectly that no one wanted the wood so it was OK to take) a Public Works employee politely asked me to not remove any more wood as the City has a contract with a chipper who removes the wood and sells the wood chips. That said, the employee was a nice guy and had no issue with me taking the wood I had already loaded.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
I would get it, I play dumb very well and it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Stevea that's how I get 90% of my wood. No one can be bothered to do anything with it so I get in there and fill my truck. I got mostly mockernut hickory this year. With a lil ash, cherry and maple .

This. All day. Every day. The most you can be told to do by a cop on Sunday is to stop cutting. I know 3 guys (2 on the fire department) who were racing around town after a major storm laying claim to trees pushed off to the side of the road by the DPW after the power company had killed the lines. It was funny as hell to hear the stories from them as it was going on. One went so far as to go out and buy a 372XP to get an upper hand.

These 3 guys cleaned up a ton of wood but they worked hard doing it. I'm sure the DPW was glad for the help as the town was a mess for a long time.

Buy orange hard hat , yellow safety vest and couple orange cones. If you own a white pick up truck, even better . I bet no one would ask you anything in that official camouflage:)

True story . . . while cutting in the City Park (again I did so only after getting permission since it was the City Park) I made sure to wear my bright orange chaps, orange safety vest and a hard helmet . . . no one said anything to me, except for one guy who stopped to tell me about some traffic light that was out . . . I think he truly thought I was with Public Works . . . I didn't bother correcting his assumption.

True story . . . while cutting in the City Park (again I did so only after getting permission since it was the City Park) I made sure to wear my bright orange chaps, orange safety vest and a hard helmet . . . no one said anything to me, except for one guy who stopped to tell me about some traffic light that was out . . . I think he truly thought I was with Public Works . . . I didn't bother correcting his assumption.
;lol;lol;lol

You know Jake, I'm getting old. I think this is where I got the idea- you must have mentioned that story before on this forum and I just stole it as my invention. Sorry about that.

Reactions: firefighterjake
If you pay taxes, you own some of it anyway! :) I agree with it being easier to ask forgiveness than beg for permission.

In my town, the trees that are taken down are either left close to the road (open season) or pushed back to owner's lot (hands off - property owner wants it.) The tree warden is also the guy who runs the dump, so I always get the heads up on Sunday when I bring the trash out there.

what is the worst that could happen?

Probably not much in reality. Just please don't be "that guy" that twists an ankle or worse on undeveloped city property and then tries to hold the city liable for not properly taking care of the land. Your risk, your reward.

Buy orange hard hat , yellow safety vest and couple orange cones. If you own a white pick up truck, even better . I bet no one would ask you anything in that official camouflage:)

I like that idea. To make it even more convincing I could get a couple of friends to come along and sit there drinking coffee in vests and hard hats watching me work.

I like that idea. To make it even more convincing I could get a couple of friends to come along and sit there drinking coffee in vests and hard hats watching me work.
And have one stand there and lean on a shovel...

Reactions: pernox
128.jpg

I keep my "uniform" in the truck/ scroungemobile.

White hard hat (color doesn't matter), and orange reflective vest (again, color doesn't matter.)
I'm also not scrounging front yards or woodstovers' land and no one even asks, and most wave. LOL

Also temporarily outta work here. We have no credit cards, pd cash for the cars we could afford, (not payments
we can afford). The woodstove keeps AEP at bay to the tune of 100-120 dollar monthly electric bills, so our only
debt is literally the mortgage, and stuff like gasoline n' food. We regularly raid Goodwill for that Abercrombie crap,
many times with the tags still on them for 6 bucks, etc. Grubbage is from Aldi, movie nite is supplied by the library, etc.

We've even made "living Cheap" a game. Now that we have to be cheap, it's business as usual, minus dinner out weekly,
and our little rewards for cheapin' it.

Well close . . . except it was just me . . . my gear was more orange in color . . . and I didn't have a head lamp. ;) :)
I was looking for a shot of their on-street rig, which they used to lower Aykroyd into the manhole, but screen shots of old movies can be hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.