Downed Trees on city property

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep my "uniform" in the truck/ scroungemobile.

White hard hat (color doesn't matter), and orange reflective vest (again, color doesn't matter.)
I'm also not scrounging front yards or woodstovers' land and no one even asks, and most wave. LOL

Also temporarily outta work here. We have no credit cards, pd cash for the cars we could afford, (not payments
we can afford). The woodstove keeps AEP at bay to the tune of 100-120 dollar monthly electric bills, so our only
debt is literally the mortgage, and stuff like gasoline n' food. We regularly raid Goodwill for that Abercrombie crap,
many times with the tags still on them for 6 bucks, etc. Grubbage is from Aldi, movie nite is supplied by the library, etc.

We've even made "living Cheap" a game. Now that we have to be cheap, it's business as usual, minus dinner out weekly,
and our little rewards for cheapin' it.
God bless you and your family. What's your profession?

True story . . . while cutting in the City Park (again I did so only after getting permission since it was the City Park) I made sure to wear my bright orange chaps, orange safety vest and a hard helmet . . . no one said anything to me, except for one guy who stopped to tell me about some traffic light that was out . . . I think he truly thought I was with Public Works . . . I didn't bother correcting his assumption.
That wouldn't fool me but if you and a few friends were in your truck enjoying coffee and donuts for a few hours I would have been reporting that faulty signal to you too I'm sure!! :)

Ash (post #26),
Over 17 years in a foundry went from to molding to pouring before reaching nirvana,
the machining/ testing shoppe. Made senior metallurgical lab tech.
By trade I'd prefer machinist/ ironworker, etc.

Ironically,
Took a leap of faith for cleaner air and better income and landed on a bakery assembly line
standing there making almost 4 bux more, tons of optional overtime, killer union benefits, etc.

Lost the job 2 weeks ago by going in on my day off then missing a scheduled shift. A no call no show
is a terminal offense and they don't mess around. Union grievance meeting Dec 12th. In most cases
they get their people right back in. I also luckily have excellent attendance and work ethic on my side.
That's the card my union steward is going to play. "Don't toss the good one's".

With mega-changes going on @ Cheap Acres it's ALL in God's hands now fer direction.
I only need a 12 dollar job to make the bills, we're starting fostering very soon, mama and her
in-home Christian daycare, and a churchbro tugging a string to get me into Federal Mogul,
literally anything can happen. I could be the Jimmy John's guy being hyper when I want. LOL

I've delivered two loads now of ready to burn splits for free so there's a side ministry in there someplace.
Saw a dilapidated mess of what in the 60's was a nice trailer home, chimney going, and almost no stack.
Fixed that. They start all gushing about breast cancer, being outta work, outta wood, etc. I'm
onto something here.

Last edited:
Holy cow! One day no show and you are fired ? That sucks. Good luck to you . I hope you get your job back.

That is harsh if you've been good with attendance up to then! As for the trees that went down I'd ask before I'd cut and haul them but I'm sure it's tempting to just go er done! I'm very lucky to be in a hardwood forest area of Winter, WI 54896. I know many lot owners that don't burn wood and I get more dead and /or down Maple, Birch, Elm and Black or White Ash than I can burn to heat my large home for just a thank you for the neighbors help. Good luck and I hope you get back in to the bakery!

Had a similar situation as Mustash29. My township had five 30" diameter ash trees topped and the 25' trunks were left standing. I asked the town board what the deal was. They were taking bids on them and I got all five for $20 a piece .
Doesn't hurt to ask...

I get my scrounge legally by being directly on roadside frontage and I ask property owners.
That being said, there's also stretches of road over a mile between houses and then I just do my thing if
it's not directly permissioned to me by the Asplundh guys I follow around. Wearing the gear raises fewer eyebrows.
If the stuff is discolored or mushrooming it's a fair bet the property owner has no interest in it.
Also, NEVER cross a trespass sign.

Thanks for the nice words about the job, gang. The company keeps crazy tight rules due to the union.
The union backs only those they wish to keep. Too many lazies bust their butts until getting into the union
then severely downshift. It's actually a very good system. The Bakery and Grain Millers like to look good to
have bargaining power. They keep he/ she who produces day after day. If they don't want me any longer it's
gonna be someone in power intimidated by my weird combo of humble yet goofy, all the while bustin' arse.

Lost the job 2 weeks ago by going in on my day off then missing a scheduled shift. A no call no show
is a terminal offense and they don't mess around. Union grievance meeting Dec 12th. In most cases
they get their people right back in. I also luckily have excellent attendance and work ethic on my side.
That's the card my union steward is going to play. "Don't toss the good one's".
Are any of them wood burners? If so, just tell them you missed your shift because you found a fantastic scrounge. They'll understand. ;)

But seriously, I hope everything works out for you!!

Goes with post #32

punkwood 009.JPG punkwood 002.JPG punkwood 001.JPG
These are all rotted and collapsing under their own weight.
That's how much is available here, and using the "uniform" just seems to make the process of removal smoother.
No homes in the vicinity. When collecting drops peeps don't even bat an eye. Over the course of the last year
Been asked twice if I had permission to take it. Both times I had a yes answer without directly answering the question:
"Doing utility company cleanup due to safety purposes for crews that need to access this location under
the power lines in an outage situation. We don't need our friends tripping over this garbage restoring service".

Not bad, huh?
Like playing cards, always carry an ace and a joker. Ya never know when you'll have to play either one.
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Status
Not open for further replies.