Downflow Furnace Exchanger Install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosted

Jan 9, 2009
Indiana
My house is approximately 12 years old and sits on a slab with a forced air downflow furnace. I am getting everything around to have my OWB installed in the next couple weeks and am trying to figure out where I need to put the heat exchanger. On CB's site it says to put the exchanger between the furnace and the coil which I do not have enough room for. I have also heard some people lift the furnace up and build a box under it for the excahanger, but this would require A LOT of work. The only other thing I know of to pur the exchanger above the furnace and draw the heat through the furnace where I have read online where this can easily burn up electronics and fan motors. The furnace is only a year old so I am hoping to not have to do to much modifications to it or burn it up. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Hosted

I have the same configuration as you, and I did lift up the furnace and build a box underneath for the heat exchanger. It was not too much work to adjust the ductwork above the furnace to compensate for the height of the exchanger. My box with the hx inside ended up being 10" high.

Status
Not open for further replies.