DPW wood score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creekyphil

Dec 22, 2010
Eastern MA - South Shore
Saw a crew cutting this weekend, so pulled over to see what the scrounge possibilities were. Turns out there were about 10 guys working, dropping 18 large (60+ ft) white pines. Started talking to the guys, and turns out that most of the crew are DPW tree guys Monday to Friday, and that the town Tree Warden and lead bucket truck guy are both there. I ask them about getting access to some of the town cuttings, and they say "Sure, no problem. Whats the address?" They know their stuff, and promised it would only be hardwoods, and everything would be bucked to 24 inches or less. So now I've got unlimited access to 4 yard dump truck loads of hardwood, dropped right in the driveway! I ended up taking a big load of pine to be friendly, since they needed to get rid of it. I guess I'm going to have to wait for the first load to make sure that this isn't too good to be true, but they both seemed like good guys. They gave me their names and cell numbers, and told me to go by the office anytime.

I'm really considering overhauling my processing system to accommodate this new supply, but I will wait until after the first load to make any changes. Its also going to really test my round IDing skills, since each truck will probably have a variety of different species. Maybe I'll keep the good stuff, and sort out the elms and soft maples and give them away. I wish there was a way to identify needy families.
Lots of ideas swirling around, but generally just excited.

Sounds like it may be a good deal.
Pine burns, good shoulder season & camp fire wood too.
Smart to wait to see if it pans out before investing in new firewood processing equipment.
Hope they keep you busy & you get some good hard woods :)

Creekyphil said:
Saw a crew cutting this weekend, so pulled over to see what the scrounge possibilities were. Turns out there were about 10 guys working, dropping 18 large (60+ ft) white pines. Started talking to the guys, and turns out that most of the crew are DPW tree guys Monday to Friday, and that the town Tree Warden and lead bucket truck guy are both there. I ask them about getting access to some of the town cuttings, and they say "Sure, no problem. Whats the address?" They know their stuff, and promised it would only be hardwoods, and everything would be bucked to 24 inches or less. So now I've got unlimited access to 4 yard dump truck loads of hardwood, dropped right in the driveway! I ended up taking a big load of pine to be friendly, since they needed to get rid of it. I guess I'm going to have to wait for the first load to make sure that this isn't too good to be true, but they both seemed like good guys. They gave me their names and cell numbers, and told me to go by the office anytime.

I'm really considering overhauling my processing system to accommodate this new supply, but I will wait until after the first load to make any changes. Its also going to really test my round IDing skills, since each truck will probably have a variety of different species. Maybe I'll keep the good stuff, and sort out the elms and soft maples and give them away. I wish there was a way to identify needy families.

Sounds like a great deal Phil! I'm in Carver where are you located?

Ray

Don't forget that we are into that time of the year when yards can be really soft so keep that in mind for trucks driving on the lawns and keep them off the driveways if it is paved. Other than that, you found a good thing! Congratulations.

I wish there was a way to identify needy families

Call your town office, they should know of deserving families same goes for the local food pantry as well as area churches and charitable organizations. Get receipts for tax puposes, (charitable donation)

Will

Nothing wrong with white pine, elm or soft maple . . . well maybe elm if you are splitting by hand.

However, I would not count my chickens before they hatch . . . it's all well and good that they delivered you this first load of white pine that was nearby . . . but whether they'll continue to drop off wood to you in 24 foot lengths and only hardwood . . . well time will tell. Hopefully, the answer will be yes . . . and the only problem you will have is deciding how to use the wood. I do think it's a positive sign that they gave you their names and cell phone numbers.

raybonz said:
Creekyphil said:

Ray

I don't want to say which town, in case what these guys are doing for me is frowned upon by their higher ups. It is pretty close to you, a bit north on rt 3. I'm not sure what your situation is, or if you have a splitter, but I'm splitting by hand. If you want to try and work something out, PM me.

Creekyphil said:
raybonz said:
Creekyphil said:

Ray

I don't want to say which town, in case what these guys are doing for me is frowned upon by their higher ups. It is pretty close to you, a bit north on rt 3. I'm not sure what your situation is, or if you have a splitter, but I'm splitting by hand. If you want to try and work something out, PM me.

Phil I am not looking to get any wood just curious where you're from.. I have quite a bit of wood here and only get free wood on occasion.. I like to get mine c/s/d and only add a little now and then.. I do have a 5 ton electric splitter which helps except so far on Elm which it can't do.. I drive up Rt. 3 daily when I work at S. Boston.. Welcome to the forum!

Ray

Llamaman said:
sounds like Deluxebury?

Llamaman where are you located?

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.