DR 10 HP Chipper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 20hp Echo-Bearcat, chipper/ shredder( #5720 electric start)), it really does chip to 5". not inexpensive though new are like 8g's, got it used for a great price. It is not a controlled feed but does pull the branches in on its own most of the time in the chipper section, the shredder section pulls it in quick but has a limit there of 3/4" according to manual. I was a bit leary of the specs, having had the experience of one of the 8hp mtd ( months til done) units, as was stated by another poster jam-a-matic if you feed it to fast, and a abosolute pain to try and clear. Main thing I liked about the bearcat was the ease that one could clear it of a jam, 1 bolt to remove and top half of the chambers fold open for any service work.

Bear-Cat makes some of the absolute best chippers on the market. For you guys looking for small units, their line up of 3-5" units, including the chipper shredder combo units, will get it done for sure. Last I checked you could do a 3" chipper/shredder for under $1100 new.

http://bearcatproducts.com/

mtd ( months til done)
;lol That's one I haven't heard yet...

Money taken daily and Must try Deere are personal favorites. ;)

I had the trailer full of Hemlock from a couple days ago so I decided to stack it tonight then clean up in the area I chipped in last night, since I took the pine branches back in the woods I went up top so I could get a small load of Hemlock to finish stacking.

We had a small Basswood come down across a trail which I'll take care of this weekend.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5746.JPG
    100_5746.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_5747.JPG
    100_5747.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_5748.JPG
    100_5748.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_5749.JPG
    100_5749.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_5750.JPG
    100_5750.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_5751.JPG
    100_5751.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_5753.JPG
    100_5753.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 175
Looks Great! I'm stuck at work right now and living vicariously through you......;)

When are you firing up the smoker again? We have some thunder with heavy rain moving in, the temp dropped 20 degrees from 90 to 70 degrees since I stacked, coming down hard.

zap

In the 90's here so I decided to get the chipper out for some easy work, I took four loads out from around the fireplace,twigs,stumps,smaller pine branches and some pine needles.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5889.JPG
    100_5889.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_5890.JPG
    100_5890.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_5893.JPG
    100_5893.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_5903.JPG
    100_5903.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 221
Reactions: certified106
Are there any sticks on the ground at your place that you don't know about Zap? ;):p

Get It Before It Rots ==c

Beautiful woods.

Your place looks great! It was definitely hot yesterday afternoon.

Thanks MasterMech and Certified106, this is the first time since we bought the land I cut on that I actually spent some serious time working around the house.

zap

Looks Great! I'm stuck at work right now and living vicariously through you......;)
Looks like that downed wood will be taken care of tonight, our neighbor with the Kubota is going for a ride on the Rhino through our property tomorrow.
zap

I took care of the rotten tree that came down across the trail, went up the trail to find this bassoakwood which started to split from the backside about two months ago finally came down.

I guess I'll take up carving.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5907.JPG
    100_5907.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_5908.JPG
    100_5908.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_5909.JPG
    100_5909.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_5910-001.JPG
    100_5910-001.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_5911.JPG
    100_5911.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_5912.JPG
    100_5912.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Zap,

Im curious about your chipper. Seems like it handles most of the stuff you throw at it, but you also have processed most of the sticks down already. Do you ever put anything through it that still has leaves on it? I have some really pesky box elder near me that I want to chip the smaller stuff, but I dont want to have to cut all of the leafy bits off of it.

Clark, most chippers I have run across will handle leaves on the branches just fine. ;)

Zap,

Im curious about your chipper. Seems like it handles most of the stuff you throw at it, but you also have processed most of the sticks down already. Do you ever put anything through it that still has leaves on it? I have some really pesky box elder near me that I want to chip the smaller stuff, but I dont want to have to cut all of the leafy bits off of it.
Most of what we put through it has been dead pine, it is better if you get rid of the leaves, it will handle it. I ran Pine with needles on it, it will plug up. I was working by myself so I took the guard off it to solve that problem.

zap

I'm still amazed with this chipper.

Chipper-3.JPG

Reactions: zap
6 Axles on that trailer (inc. the tag) ! _gThink it was designed to haul some weight?

Thanks for the replies Zap and MasterMech, much appreciated!

Sav did they use those for pellets?
zap

No pellets out of that. Not 100% certain which company it was or what they do but for sure no pellets.

This is the chipper they used at the cabin last week. Had a 6-cylinder Ford gasoline engine. The entire area was covered 3-6" deep in chips when they left...P1030090 (1024x575).jpg

Reactions: Realstone
Regarding our sandy soil; looks like I'll make use of some smaller cherry branches by chipping them up then spreading them out on that area. I'll throw down some grass seed before spreading the cherry chips out, we'll see how well it works.

In one part of my woodsplitting area, I had spread a heavy bed of woodchips, when a long rainy season (and me doing a lot of work in the area) destroyed all of the fine grass I had in that area. I found the woodchips, despite being spread fairly deep, did not add much stability to the soil. I (and my tractor) still sunk and displaced mud, almost as if they were not there.

Like you, I'll be planting grass in my new woodsplitting area, to establish a root system and some soil stability. Even if I kill most of it working and stacking in the area, I'll still have a (hopefully) live root system.

Status
Not open for further replies.