DR 6 Ton splitting pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elderthewelder

Minister of Fire
Finally had a decent day today, first time we have seen sun in months. So me and my son spent a couple hours splitting with the DR. mostly Douglass fir .

Also threw in some pics of my wood "hooch". first 2 bins are all Oak that I split last fall, ( about 2 1/2 cord) 3rd bin will get full of the Fir. All 3 bins togehter hold 3 3/8 cord

Attachments

• P1010008 (2).JPG
    P1010008 (2).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 793
  • P1010009 (2).JPG
    P1010009 (2).JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 767
  • P1010010 (2).JPG
    P1010010 (2).JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 747
pics of wood bins

Attachments

• P1010013 (2).JPG
    P1010013 (2).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 777
  • P1010011 (2).JPG
    P1010011 (2).JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 764
  • P1010012 (2).JPG
    P1010012 (2).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 774
Nice and neat elder. Where did you find oak out here? I'm jealous.

How do you like that DR? How fast/slow is it (I guess compared to a gas powered splitter)?

I think its great that you used the electric splitter for this. I thought those logs would be too big. So how do you like it?

BeGreen
I got the Oak in Bellevue a year and a half ago or so. A big oak fell on a women's house, tree service sectioned it out and left it all over her yard. she had it on craigslist for quite awhile. I ended up getting 2.5 cords, they were some real heavy rounds even though most were cut between 12" and 14" , with the multiple trips between Everett and Bellevue in my mid size truck I got burnt out real quick humping the stuff. Believe it or not about another 2 cords went to the dump. I wish I'd of had a full size truck or a trailer, I would of taken it all. I posted pics of it all when I brought it home, think you said you were jealous than as well, people here were thinking it is pin oak. made a hell of a pop when I split it all on the DR

Tfin / HighBeam
There is no comparison between the DR and a gas powered splitter, the gas powered is much better, stronger and faster. I do however like the DR, I can keep it in the garage, plug it in and split my splits down for kindling if needed, I do not have to do much preventive maint on it, it has pretty much split everything I have thrown at it, with the exception of a few gnarly pieces with alot of knots in it and I quite often exceed the 16" dia max rating on it, my rule of thumb is if it will fit on the splitter I will try and split it and I have had pretty good results overall, sometimes has a little troubles with the big hardwood, but for the soft maple, fir, alder, cedar, hemlock that is abundant in my area it will split it all with no problem even if you exceed the recommended size limitations of the unit. trust me I have

BTW, all wood in above pics was scrounged thru craigslist

I'm still jealous. The closest I get to oak burning is flooring scraps. You're going to be toasty next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.