DR duel action splitter, does anyone have one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still... point being... you're not going to put "little" 250 lb. rounds up on that DR splitter, without hating yourself in the morning.

Roll them up - you're going to muscle the big ones around on a vertical unit as well. I use the tailgate for one half while I whittle the other down.
It's all personnel preference really as I can't stoop on a milk crate without flaring up lower disc but standing and rolling logs I feel no worse - usually better after stacking a c/s/s a full load in a couple hours
IMG_0406.JPG

Roll them up - you're going to muscle the big ones around on a vertical unit as well. I use the tailgate for one half while I whittle the other down.
It's all personnel preference really as I can't stoop on a milk crate without flaring up lower disc but standing and rolling logs I feel no worse - usually better after stacking a c/s/s a full load in a couple hours
View attachment 109638

What year is your 041?

I have no idea what to do with something that big. What is noodling exactly? Is that cutting against the wood grain lengthwise?

Noodling = laying round down on its side and ripping with the grain. Your saw will spew "noodles," and cut very fast, as long as it can clear the shavings fast enough to not jam up.

Works better than cutting shorties! I don't mind burning shorties, but I hate stacking them.

Anywho, like I said above I'm not interested in a Dual action OR a DR brand unit. I've deciced on the Dirty Hand Tool 22 ton. Comes with the log cradle and will be cheaper for me since I have no TS nearby. ;)
I think that's a good choice! I'm interested to hear how it works.

I posted the DR question over the middle of the summer, when splitter sales seemed slow. DR had some incentives but in the end it would not work for me, needed the vertical as well as horizontal. I did some more research and ended up with an Ariens 22 ton. Shipping through HD was free. Actually it was sent to a local power equipment shop and was assembled and prepped there. I picked it up at the shop and towed it home. The price was $1099, which at the time I was shopping around seemed reasonable. And it got great reviews through several sources. Anyways, I have put 3 cords through it so far and all is well.

Reactions: Ashful
How it happened was when I have rounds not seated properly, the ram pushes the log into the ground and lifts the splitter, and the surrounding pile slides under the splitter. That's where the helper would have been handy....keep the split would away from my splitter zone.
Not sure if your serious regarding the splitter on its side, but the engine may have (consistant)oiling issues if you did run it like that.

Not sure if your serious regarding the splitter on its side, but the engine may have (consistant)oiling issues if you did run it like that.

That was only once and the first time I used it. It tilted at the angle in the picture. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again to be safe.

... I did some more research and ended up with an Ariens 22 ton. Shipping through HD was free. Actually it was sent to a local power equipment shop and was assembled and prepped there. I picked it up at the shop and towed it home. The price was $1099, which at the time I was shopping around seemed reasonable. And it got great reviews through several sources. Anyways, I have put 3 cords through it so far and all is well.

I looked at that Ariens 22. I really like two things about it:
1. It is only 38" wide, I think the thinest unit I've seen. Storage space is a huge issue for me, I don't have much space.
2. It's very light at 374 lbs, because it is not very wide (less steel going across), and it does not have a full beam (again less steel). So moving it around and storing it would be very easy and nice for me.

But, the non-full beam seems to be an issue for some folks. How does the hydro cylendar mount look? Does it look like it woll hold up over long term....?

Never noticed the difference in spelling "Husky" and "Huskee"! That's nuts!
Yeah, you really have to watch those names.

There are Huskee mowers made by MTD, and Huskee splitters made by SpeeCo and Husky power tools made by Black & Decker for Home Depot.

Sometimes you see Husqvarna referred to as "Husky" by people but is completely unrelated. Totally confusing.

I looked at that Ariens 22. I really like two things about it:
1. It is only 38" wide, I think the thinest unit I've seen. Storage space is a huge issue for me, I don't have much space.
2. It's very light at 374 lbs, because it is not very wide (less steel going across), and it does not have a full beam (again less steel). So moving it around and storing it would be very easy and nice for me.

But, the non-full beam seems to be an issue for some folks. How does the hydro cylendar mount look? Does it look like it woll hold up over long term....?

I think that the narrow width and lower weight is a plus. Especially when you position by hand.

I would think heavier would be better, as well as a full beam, makes it more sturdy. If that is the case with the ariens 22 then I will stay away from it. Thanks for the info....

View attachment 109638
Like your setup.

Ok thank you, can you please create a post to let us know how you like it when you start using it? Thank you...

Changed directions! Going to get the Ariens 22 ton unit instead of the DHT. I like the DHT 22 a bit better (full beam, 10.9 sec. cycle time VS 12 sec cycle time), but the Ariens has a much smaller foot print, and storage space is a problem for me.

Changed directions! Going to get the Ariens 22 ton unit instead of the DHT. I like the DHT 22 a bit better (full beam, 10.9 sec. cycle time VS 12 sec cycle time), but the Ariens has a much smaller foot print, and storage space is a problem for me.

That makes sense. As I said, it should make maneuvering in and out of storage easier...especially if you do so by hand.

Send us some pics

Got it today, killer deal using a competitor 25% off coupon. Looks better than I thought..., some nice features they didn't advertise but should. I'll put some details in the Ariens 22 ton thread.

View attachment 109916

Nice...Congratulations!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.