DR Power splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2010
Southern NH
Hi,

Sorry to create another "splittler" topic, but I have not seen this splitter talked about. I did multiple searches and came up with nothing.

I may be in the market for a splitter and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a DR Power splitter. They have a 22 ton that is $1999. Seems expensive. The only feature that seems above and beyond is the 12 sec cycle time.

Max log diameter: 30"
Max. log length: 24"
Cycle time: 12 seconds
Engine: 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton OHV, manual-starting
Engine warranty: 2 yrs residential/90 days commercial
Machine warranty: 2 yrs residential/90 days commercial
Tire size: 4"’ wide x 8"’ diameter
Maximum Towing Speed: 35 mph

Other information:
2-stage pump
8-1/2 gallon hydraulic fluid capacity
69 lb. tongue weight
Can be towed with a 2" ball coupler
Safety chains included

------------------------

Curious if anyone has one and what they think.

Also, I been to 3 small engine dealers to look for splitters and also to Lowes and HD but no on has anything. My local HD did locate an Ariens about 1hr away for 1599. Is that a decent price for the 27 ton unit?

Thanks

wannabegreener said:
Hi,

Sorry to create another "splittler" topic, but I have not seen this splitter talked about. I did multiple searches and came up with nothing.

I may be in the market for a splitter and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a DR Power splitter. They have a 22 ton that is $1999. Seems expensive. The only feature that seems above and beyond is the 12 sec cycle time.

Max log diameter: 30"
Max. log length: 24"
Cycle time: 12 seconds
Engine: 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton OHV, manual-starting
Engine warranty: 2 yrs residential/90 days commercial
Machine warranty: 2 yrs residential/90 days commercial
Tire size: 4"’ wide x 8"’ diameter
Maximum Towing Speed: 35 mph

Other information:
2-stage pump
8-1/2 gallon hydraulic fluid capacity
69 lb. tongue weight
Can be towed with a 2" ball coupler
Safety chains included

------------------------

Curious if anyone has one and what they think.

Also, I been to 3 small engine dealers to look for splitters and also to Lowes and HD but no on has anything. My local HD did locate an Ariens about 1hr away for 1599. Is that a decent price for the 27 ton unit?

Thanks
They may have a big first stage on the pump. If this is the case it might even be slower than a 17 second splitter through tough wood. 6.5 hp will only push so much oil. Timberwolf uses big dia. cylinder rods to speed up the cycle, you get very little power coming back, it isn't needed though. I doubt a cheaper splitter will have a cylinder like this, Randy

Cycle time is the most over rated thing about splitters. I certainly would not use that for a factor in the decision whether to buy or not buy.

Speaking of small engines and pumping oil, my little 20 ton MTD is powered by a 5 hp B&S engine and does just fine. It splits as fast as I can work; sometimes faster.

Backwoods Savage said:
Cycle time is the most over rated thing about splitters. I certainly would not use that for a factor in the decision whether to buy or not buy.

Speaking of small engines and pumping oil, my little 20 ton MTD is powered by a 5 hp B&S engine and does just fine. It splits as fast as I can work; sometimes faster.
Speaking of splitting wood, how are you doing there? Hope everything is going well Dennis, Randy

All other things being equal, I can't see spending a thousand dollars to save five or six seconds per cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.