DR Rapid-Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim in CT

Jun 24, 2008
southern CT
Hello fellow wood junkies-
Anybody used the Dr rapid fire splitter? What do you think? I like the speed, and the table height looks like it'd be easier on the back. Who's got one?

I've seen it used on youtube, and it looks like a producer, but all I have ever really seen run through it was straight, knot-less rounds. Seems that everything I cut is knotty and twisty and a SOB to split, so I will stick with my vert/horz. 22 ton Swisher. Don't get me wrong, that is a cool concept, but in the real world I think it would be a PITA with knotty rounds. And as far as the price, a bit steep if you ask me. Just my two cents.......

I went with the Super Splitter. I am in Granby CT , you are welcome to stop by and see my electric splitter in action. Just bring some cold refreshments.
Also you may want to look at the other site arboristsite.com there is more chatter regarding this type of splitter over there.

We've talked about these here before. For moderately sized rounds that you can easily lift, they should out run a hydraulic no problem. However, very few people on this board always get rounds they can lift easily to 3 ft (all day) and rounds that always split easily and clean. I imagine a truckload of elm would change your mind on inertia splitters quickly. Difficult/large rounds kinda go like this:

Count 'em, one, two, three, four, five.... ah ha! My Iron & Oak costs less, eats that stuff in one push, often without kicking into the high-pressure stage and doesn't require $30,000 worth of machinery to lift the round onto the table. Biggest disadvantage of inertia splitters? No vertical capability. I split everything I can lift comfortably with the beam horizontal and then go vertical to halve/quarter the big rounds until they too are manageable.

Kinda like race cars, put 'em on a smooth track under ideal conditions and they go like hell. Get off the pavement and my pick-up truck is faster. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.