Draft cap adjustments for Fishers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CamFan

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2011
North East Georgia
Does any one have issues with the draft caps not sealing? They touch the door at an angle not allowing the caps to shut complete. Not screwing in for a flat contact with the door. If so let me know and I will give you a simple adjustment for this. I used to have to do this for new stoves from time to time. If you put new bolts in you may have this problem.

Yep, could be due to a bent bolt or threads in door not exactly 90* to door surface? Maybe the cap threads or threaded cap insert crooked in the cap?

Right or wrong, I remove the bolt to prevent breaking the air damper support on door, and bend the bolt head end slightly. Then reinstall the bolt and cap. When cap is turned down and it doesn't contact door surface evenly, the bolt can be turned to adjust the air gap evenly around damper as it makes contact.
Maybe there's an easier way?

Coaly Take your Meds, :)

What we did was if the cap made contact and left a gap on the opposite side was this.
1. Note the contact point, open the cap approx 3/8".
2. We used a wide blade chipping chisle, approx 3" wide. Slide it between the door and draft cap where it made contact. and gently lift up. I takes very small amount of pressure to tweak the bolt.
3. Run the cap back down check an repeat if needed.

When we had obsolete doors that we were going to sell for scrap we used to have to use a 3lb shop hammer and we would have to beat the doors with full swings to break a hindge off or any part of the door. The most fragile part is between the doors where they over lap. I would be more worried of damage to the draft cap by using a small contact tool like a screw driver. I you cap wobbles on the bolt the hole was not drilled and tapped in the center of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.