Draft Concern

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlegs

Feeling the Heat
I have a new Osburn 2400 Insert setting down stairs, and I am putting my install plan and parts list together. I measured my chimney today and from the top of the insert to the top of the clay its 23 ft 6 in, and its all a straight rise (no bend or angles). I thought I had read somewhere about that causing an excessive drafting problem? I want to make sure I get the most effeciency and best burn times from this insert. Can anyone see an issue with a setup like this, and what else should I watch out for in this install?

That should be fine. Be sure the flue is completely cleaned before installing the liner. If there is any doubt about the integrity of the clay tiles in the chimney or the mortar joints, insulate the liner.

BeGreen...thanks for the tip on insulation. I had that penciled on my parts list, and now its a "for sure". Does insulating help reduce creosote build-up?

Insulation helps keep the liner warmer, and that helps against creosote build up.
Your draft should be fine. I am up 27' and no issues.
Do yourself a favor and order the liner at 25'. Then after install, just cut any excess off the top. Sucks to be short, easy to trim some off.

I was just looking at the insulation on FiresideChimneySupply.com and they offer 1/4 in and 1/2 in thick insulation...it's only $40 more for the 1/2in so I'll prob go with that. They also offer "ovalization" to go around your fireplace damper. I was planning on removing my damper as I had not heard of this. Anyone familar? Pros vs Cons?

JeffersonCoKs said:
I was just looking at the insulation on FiresideChimneySupply.com and they offer 1/4 in and 1/2 in thick insulation...it's only $40 more for the 1/2in so I'll prob go with that. They also offer "ovalization" to go around your fireplace damper. I was planning on removing my damper as I had not heard of this. Anyone familar? Pros vs Cons?
Cut the damper here to allow for round all the way to the insert. Stick with the round is my advice. Will make for easier cleaning. Round brush don't go through oval pipe too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.