Draft control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinpa

Oct 25, 2008
Western Pa
OK. By now everyone knows I have an add on furnace, and mad for information. I don't want to burn wood, I want to know
what I'm doing and why I'm doing it. On my add on furnace, I see nothing that indicates how I control draft. Do they sell a
kit for the Englander model or is it considered manual? (open door, half open door, closed door.) Thanks!

Draft "kits" are usually sold at the hardware store sized for the type of chimney that you use. Perhaps Englander has a web site where they recommend a specific size flue for your model. What ever size exhaust you have from the stove is what usually determines the size of the control. Sometimes your exhaust will hook up to a different size flue and sometimes there is a draft control there so often chimney drafts do not come with the stove. At least that was how it was when I bought my Englander. I had big screw knobs on mine that I turned in or out, to control air supply, on the front of the stove and the manual draft control I bought at the hardware and installed my self. Once the fire is going the draft control helps control the rate of burn and heat out put of the furnace.
Do not leave the door open or part way open if you don't want a house fire.

cave2k, i think the draft control he is refering to is the air controls for the stove itself. am I right, matt?

If so, then the way to control your air is the little handle above the fire door. If you need more air on startup, you can also open the ash door a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.