Draft in old Sierra?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
With the advice I've gotten here, I've finally managed to get my old Sierra Hearthstove to work almost properly. Even got into a proper overnight burn last week.

However, it seems that the air is not circulating through the stove as it should. When I get ready to load up for the overnight, I rake the live coals from the back of the stove to the front, to be near the vents, and then stack the fresh splits up against the back of the stove, shut the door, and wait until I see them flaming and then shut the vents down about 75% and go to bed.

In the morning, I still have a pile of red coals at the front of the stove, but a large pile of unburnt coals at the back. Large enough that I can scoop them out and use them in the barbecue... just light 'em again. Tried leaving the vents open 100%- no change.

This can't be good... those coals should be burning, not cooling!

Not sure exactly which stove you have. But is it possible to load the stove w/ the wood facing north-south (front to back) instead of east-west as it sounds like you are doing?

pen

If I cut my splits in half crosswise, I guess I could load N-S. The stove is only about 12" deep, and over 20" across.

Here's the stove, for what that's worth...

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 318
Most of the double door Sierra's had a manifold in the front that lifts out. You have to clean all of the ashes out of it and from under it or they block the primary air that comes in through those sliders under the door.

It should lift out for cleaning.

Figured BB would hop in here. Wasn't sure what your stove was like. W/ 12 inch depth, I'd say East-West is about your only option. Hope the cleaning works.

pen

Yeah if the manifold isn't loaded up with ash then we are looking at a draft issue here. With 25% primary air after getting the burn established on hot coals and decent draft that bad boy should eat every thing you feed it.

Just re-read the OP. Bingo. If you drag that mess all the way to the front is is gonna block the manifold and the primary air. Use your ash rake to push the stuff back about three inches or so and then load it and let'er rip.

With that ole stove you are better spreading the coal bed and loading on top of the coals. Not pulling every thing forward like the EPA stoves.

Well, had to dig in among the residual ashes- haven't burned in a week- and wow! There's a manifold in there! And it's full of &^%$!

Off to Home Cheapo for a drywall filter for the shop vac.

Thanks folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.