Draft inducers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncountry

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
northern NY
I have a tarm 502 and am going to buy a draft inducer for it,to help eliminate smoke in the face and improve start up times. Anybody have any recommendations for the best one to buy? I plan on installing inducer in the 6" pipe immediately after the boiler.

I have a 502 and have had the same smoke problem. Here is how I improved it without a draft ind. First of all, be sure you have a good chimny with adequate draft and the tubes are not plugged up with creosote. I start the fire with small dry splits, 4 or 5 of them. Lite the paper or bark under them, wait about 3 mins, or until it is burning well, then, I take the chain link off the bottom damper, and close it while at the same time I open the top loading door a little until the draft pulls in the air for combustion and most if not all of that smoke gets sucked up the chimny. I load in some more dry wood and close the upper door and immediatly open the bottom door. Then I repeat this process again with the next arm full of wood to fill it to where I need too. I use a foam pad on the floorsince one knee is on the cement while loading. I know this sounds like a pain in a#$$ process, but it works and once you get used to it it take almost no effort at all. Occassionally I try to cheat and open the top door quick and toss in a log, and out comes the smoke, I always regret it. In the morn, if I have to actually re-lite the fire, it takes just about the same amount of time for the coffee to brew. Good luck.
Mike

Can you define 'Northern NY'? I ask because I have a Trjlund DIFan that I bought brand new and never installed.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Can you define 'Northern NY'? I ask because I have a Trjlund DIFan that I bought brand new and never installed.

If I drive 10 miles, I can see Canada across the river. Lisbon, NY roughly 65 miles northeast of watertown.

Mike. Thanks for suggestions I will try them .

Status
Not open for further replies.