Draft issue solved. Back to top-down starts.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
I recently posted that I was not able to do well with top downs on the F3 as of lately, thinking it was the stove. I have recently had smoke spillage on reloads, sluggish fires and dirty glass. I knew something was not right. I was figuring the 50* outside temps lately were the problem. Tonight I put a flashlight above the baffle plate and found the key damper shut tight! I worked the key damper handle, and of course the handle has a bit of play in it, but the damper hardly budged.

When installing the stove, I cut the S/S snout off quite a bit to get the stove to sit further into the firebox for front clearances. The long "tag" end from the S/S screw clamp was too long and I had bent it inward to get it away from the sidewall of the snout. Well, I never bent it back to place apparently.

In the picture, you can see the tag end of the clamp at the 9 o'clock position. This pic is after I removed the left screw that holds the snout to the back of the stove connector. If I turned the handle so the top of the key damper goes away from me, the bottom half would slide past the "tab", but opening it back up would not allow the damper to go past the tab sticking out. With the play in the handle, the damper felt open. My next job is to pull the stove out and bend that little tab back in. So draft issue solved. Opened damper, happy camper.

I did a quick top down start tonight, and off like a rocket it went. Good thing as a Nor'e aster is predicted this weekend with heavy wind, rain and possible wet snow. I am back in the club, dues forthcoming.

Attachments

• DSC09947.jpg
    DSC09947.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 373
Well, ah...

:cheese:

Key dampers need unrestricted space for the full swing of the damper. When they are too close to a joint or screw, they often bind.

Always nice when you find a clear unambiguous problem ready for fixing. Once done that ought to straighten things out, nice pickup.

I had already taken it out of the equation since I had a good turn on the handle and it was aligned in the open position. But yes BG, it is tight in there with a shortened snout.

Glad you got that fixed fishingpol.

Status
Not open for further replies.